Highlighted
Aspirant

Wired Connection Drops within 1 hour when 2 PCs are connected

here is a new one. I have just recently purchased the WNDR4000 because my Belkin was behaving the exact same way that I will be describing shortly. I bought my Belkin because my TrendNet was acting the same way, as described.

I assumed the Trendnet was just old, pushing the 5+ year mark, so I purchased the kickass Belkin. After contacting my ISP and hearing that "Belkin does not play well....blah, blah." I went out and purchased the WNDR4000.

Before you reply with all of the things to try that I already tried, here is a list (all done in the last 14 days)

Now. The issue I is that I am not noticing a drop in internet connection with the WIRELESS devices on the network (Tablet, 1 Laptop, Xbox 360). I am noticing a "resolve DNS address" error (in Chrome, both PC's) around 1 hour after the SECOND PC is connected to the internet EACH DAY.

This DNS error will come and go throughout the rest of the day. I have hard reset everything 14 times and did the unplug, plug in dance so much I am about to explode. I also ran MalwareBytes, just in case....nothing.

I finally got enough of a connection to post here today and see what is going one. I read other issues that are similar, but not exact, whereas the solutions are not helping me either.

When the PC is connected right from the modem, no issues, so we know that it is isolated to the router.

PC Info
    both running updated XP
    both running Chrome, although that does not matter since it happens with FF as well
    both connected with a WIRED connection

I have also done the 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4. as instructed by the ISP support, only have the same thing happen this morning ONE hour after the second PC was turned on. I would LOVE to blame the router here, but ALL three routers?!!?? I have an issue with that.

With ALL of that being said, router technology as changed since the old Trendnet was first purchased, so I am hoping that I missed a setup step or even a setting that could be changed or maybe my home network is the cause. Either way, I am finally turning to the forum for help since I have already bashed my head against the wall enough in the last 14 days.

here is my ipconfig /all info:
    Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : john-1
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-12-3F-CC-1C-F9
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.3
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 8.8.8.8
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, November 28, 2012 12:21:12 PM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, November 29, 2012 12:21:12 PM

Have at it. If you need any other info, I will reply as much as I can. Thank you in advance!
Message 1 of 6
Highlighted
Apprentice

Re: Wired Connection Drops within 1 hour when 2 PCs are connected

(1) You have the same issue with all 3 routers. Based on that, I would agree it's very unlikely a router problem.

(2) You say you have updated the firmware. You also said that you have hard reset the router 14 times but made reference to "...the unplug, plug in dance". What do you mean by "hard reset"? Is it power-cycling the modem and router OR using the pinhole reset button? Which did you do 14 times? - because you never mentioned resetting the router to factory defaults. This is what is usually meant by a hard reset.

(3) You have scanned (both?) PCs with Malwarebytes. Have you scanned with any other antivirus? You should be aware that as good as Malwarebytes is, no single AV detects 100%.

(4) You keep saying that the issue crops up "around 1 hour after the SECOND PC is connected to the internet EACH DAY". What happens if you leave the 2nd PC off? Have you tried switching on the 2nd PC without the 1st one being on? These are some of the things you must try to isolate if it is caused by something in a specific PC. Only then can you delve further.
Message 2 of 6
Highlighted
Aspirant

Ok, here goes.

[1] - I would have to agree.
[2] - firmware confirmed as updated. Hard reset with little button on back and reset back to default anytime I changed a setting that didn't work. The plug dance was just testing each PC, to determine any further issues I might have missed.
[3] - Both were scanned, I am aware that not all will be detected, but it was a good start.
[4] - I was informed by my significant other that it does happen on PC 2 when PC 1 is not on and I am at work.

I am going to see if maybe my network setup is causing this. As I type this, you should know that I picked up a Netgear 5 port switch and connected my Motorola power supply into that (I do not have a cable modem, we have http://bertramwireless.com/ here, if you are familiar with that, they use Asymmetrical Wireless Broadband technology).

I am online, both machines going right now, BUT would still like to figure out the wireless router issue. Maybe I will hook up the Trendnet to the switch, just for wireless and see where we go from there.

Thank you for the reply. Any further information would be greatly appreciated.
Message 3 of 6
Highlighted
Apprentice

As per said, if the issue is the same with 3 different routers (and 3 different brands to boot!), IMHO, this is not a router issue - it is something external to the router and you should seek help elsewhere.

I do recall an old thread with Chrome being slow but it was tied up with the use of Eset Nod32 (I believe). If you feel that's connected with your issue, you could do a search for it, but it had nothing to do with the router - again.
Message 4 of 6
Highlighted
Aspirant

Joe_ wrote:
As per said, if the issue is the same with 3 different routers (and 3 different brands to boot!), IMHO, this is not a router issue - it is something external to the router and you should seek help elsewhere.

I do recall an old thread with Chrome being slow but it was tied up with the use of Eset Nod32 (I believe). If you feel that's connected with your issue, you could do a search for it, but it had nothing to do with the router - again.

I agree that this is not a router issue. I am about to buy a new power supply from my ISP just to narrow this down a little further. Could it be possible that something is messed up with my network card? Both PC's are the same exact age and Dell Dimension 5150, but I am willing to scout out a new card if that is the issue.

Thanks for the replies. I will keep everyone posted at the results.
Message 5 of 6
Highlighted
Aspirant

Ok. Let's see if this gets the curiousity flowing.

I found an issue.

There was a game download manager that was setup for peer-to-peer connections on our network. Guess what computer it was? The second PC that seemed to always cause the problems.

As soon as it was turned on, multiple connections were made to the PC causing errors and of course, were stealing the bandwidth. We traced it back to a certain date, found the software and disabled it. We also noticed a process in the TASK MANAGER, so that helped to narrow it down.

ALL the years I have been messing with computers, wireless connections, networks, etc, I never thought about something like this.

My fiance downloaded a game and this program was installed unknowingly. She is very good at watching the install process, but for some reason this one got by her and that is what caused the issue.

I returned all the equipment, but could not part with the WNDR4000 Smiley Happy So for now, we are just having issues keeping out Xbox 360 and Roku box connected wirelessly, but I think a couple settings could fix that issue.

Again, thank you for the support and replies. I am hoping this could answer questions that others might have for the same issues.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements