× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Wired devices on a wireless bridge

slylabs13
Aspirant

Wired devices on a wireless bridge

I am using a WNDR3700v4 in bridge mode. When I log into the web interface I see under connected devices virtually ALL of the wired devices on my network showing up. Please tell me that this is just a discovery process and all those devices are not going through the netgear to gain access to the network.

Model: WNDR3700v4|N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@slylabs13 wrote:

I am using a WNDR3700v4 in bridge mode. When I log into the web interface I see under connected devices virtually ALL of the wired devices on my network showing up. Please tell me that this is just a discovery process and all those devices are not going through the netgear to gain access to the network.

That is correct when AP mode or bridge as some company's call it, all devices will show up as wired EXCEPT devices attached to AP's wifi. Devices attached via wifi on main router will also show as Wired too.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 8

All Replies
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello @slylabs13

Welcome to the community!

What do you mean?

If it's bridge mode, the connection is that the WNDR3700v4 is wirelessly connecting to the main router to get internet access.

So, technically it goes through the NETGEAR.

What's your network setup? How is the WNDR3700v4 configured? How are the devices connected to the NETGEAR?

Message 2 of 8
Tmoore1710
Tutor

Most of the time and not refering to any product in particular but if u can access the GUI then it's not in bridge mode.
Message 3 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@slylabs13 wrote:

That is correct when AP mode or bridge as some company's call it, all devices will show up as wired EXCEPT devices attached to AP's wifi. Devices attached via wifi on main router will also show as Wired too.

Message 4 of 8
slylabs13
Aspirant

This does not make the least bit of sense to me. Are you saying that a device configured as a router can then no longer be configured using the GUI? If that is what you are saying, it is nonsense. You may mean that a device configured as a router cannot be accessed from the public interface (if configured that way) but that is the opposite of what you said. I have never seen a device that once configured as a bridge cannot be further configured with a GUI.

Message 5 of 8
Tmoore1710
Tutor

I don't know about jus configuring devices into or as a router in general that's another topic or discussion. We were discussing configuring a router into bridge mode which is still accessible through the interface although most options will be disabled. My first comment was a mistake on my part I initially was refering to a modem which if put into bridge mode the interface will be inaccessible if your talking about just a router then yes it's still accessible but with limited access to the features of the router. The speeds that router company's advertise the only way to achieve those speeds is to have two routers jus alike and have one configured into a wireless bridge it's the only way to aquire those speeds and yet that Is jus refering to your local home intranet.
Message 6 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

My gateway DCP-3939 is in bridge mode I can access it all day long @ 10.0.0.1

I think those who cannot acces a device in bridge mode weather a gateway/modem/router, AP or Router in bridge mode might not have the correct IP therfore they cannot access it.

The wheels on the bus go round and round.

Message 7 of 8
Tmoore1710
Tutor

Right jus like I said the first comment was a mistake on my part. Now if your so called gateway is in bridge mode then it's not a gateway it's a bridge tethered by lan to your modem/router which initially is the gatway. Now most modem/routers have the option to be put in bridge mode or some call it ip mode if this done it's by passed to a aftermarket router which then is the primary default gateway. Don't get confused on a modem being bridged and router being bridged. One has no access per the GUI and the other has limited access now when I say no access I'm saying no access to the features. I wasn't gonna teach 1st grade no more but I made an exception kind sir.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7