× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Wireless-N Router Model WNR2000, restarts then and then

Bowa
Aspirant

Wireless-N Router Model WNR2000, restarts then and then

I have got a router, Netgear WNR2000, which have been running for some years. It suddenly started to behave strange,
it seems to restart suddenly, often comes back after a while but sometime it just stops and i have to power off/on to get it back,
and of course i lost my connection

Is this a problem that my ISP drops the connection or is it a problem with router. I have tried to
adjust some parameter in WIFI, since I thought that could cause the problem but it still restarts
then and then.

My next idena was to update the firmware.

The router is running an old version of firmware, can I just update to last version or do I have to update
step by step from my version to the last version?

Firmware Installed: V1.2.0.8

New Version: V1.2.3.7

Any other suggestions what can cause this problem  and what I can do about it?

Model: WNR2000|Wireless-N Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions

All firmware updates for your router are on the support page that gave you the first one.

If you visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

you can feed in the model number and find all the documentation for your hardware.

There is no V1.1.5.5 for the WNR2000 (V1), so I can't telll you which page to go to.

There are five different versions of this device. You need to pick the right one. Look at the label on the thing.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 9

All Replies
plemans
Guru

You can just update to the latest version. Make sure to do it over a hardwired connection. I'd also recommend resetting back to factory after the update. Tends to have the best results.

It could be multiple things causing the drops. that router specifially was released in 2008. in 11 year old devices it could be power supply being bad, it could be main board bad, wireless board bad. or it could be modem issues. so we'll need to figure out first if its modem or router and then troubleshoot from there.

What modem are you using?

If you're only wired into the modem (no router) do you get the same drops? 

How frequently are you getting the drops? 

Is it only wireless devices that go down or wired and wireless?

Message 2 of 9
Bowa
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply

I will update the firmvare asap

The interesting thing is that it loses the connection much more during daytime, couple times per hour, then during evenings, during evenings it's quiet stable. This could perhaps been going on for while since I normally is not at home connecting during daytime but have working from home some weeks.

Both Wired and WIFI goes, I sometimes got a feeling that could it starts with a wifi connection with a new SAMSUNG tablets but it is not always. I have not been able to pin-point in which situation it goes down.

I will update the firmware to see if that "solves" anything otherwise it seems to be a good idea to replace the router

Message 3 of 9
plemans
Guru

I would check your modem as well. What modem are you using? 

What internet speeds are you paying for? What speeds do you get over a hardwired connection?

Message 4 of 9
Bowa
Aspirant

I have a fiber connection which terminated in my house by some type of converter, not my equipment.

I have had some problem with this previously, it had to be replaced. I used want to be sure that it is not my equiopment that fail before contacting the supplier, they are quite hard to deal with, they always tries to push the problem to your equipment

Downloading:   ~ 80 Mbits/s

Uploading: ~ 90 Mbits/s

I would think I have 100/100 Mbits

Message 5 of 9
plemans
Guru

Does the equipment that your isp provides have an integrated router with it?  If it doesn't you might have a double nat situation causing issues. 

Either way, I'd look at upgrading the router. I'm not a fan of throwing out used equipment but at a certain point its needed. The one you're using is a very base level router from 2008.  It was base level when it came out much less 11 years later. You'll be quite impressed if/when you upgrade to see how much better your wireless devices perform. I'd make sure to get at least a gigabit device as most fiber providers have been boosting their base level speeds and tend to be >100mbps that you're getting. 

Message 6 of 9

@Bowa wrote:

The router is running an old version of firmware, can I just update to last version or do I have to update

Do as @plemans says. That works nine times out of ten, probably more, but there are rare circumstances when you need to go through an intermediate stage.

If a direct update doesn't work, go for somewhere in the middle until that sticks and then apply the latest.

Message 7 of 9
Bowa
Aspirant

I updated to the latest version without any problem. I'm not yet conviced that it lsoved my problem, running it to short time

But anyhow,

Now it states that should upgrade Language Table Upgrade Assistant & Firmware Upgrade Assistant from V1.1.5.5 to V1.1.5.12, so I thought Ok but I can't find this update ?

Any hint's where to find it ?

Message 8 of 9

All firmware updates for your router are on the support page that gave you the first one.

If you visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

you can feed in the model number and find all the documentation for your hardware.

There is no V1.1.5.5 for the WNR2000 (V1), so I can't telll you which page to go to.

There are five different versions of this device. You need to pick the right one. Look at the label on the thing.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7