Re: Wireless-N compatability issues

BradS
Novice

Wireless-N compatability issues

I have two laptops that will not connect to the Wireless-N under N. First is an MSI DX780GT-447US (Intel Cenerno Wireless-N 130) and the other is a Dell Inspiron 9400 using a TRENDnet Wireless N USB.

Both laptops will connect via wireless G. I have flashed with the latest version (WNDR3700v2 10.0.0.12).

I have two HP laptops, LG Bluray, and LG TV which do not have any issues connecting to Wireless-N.

Does anyone have any ideas? What do I need to do for compatability? I am frustrated beyond believe.
Message 1 of 13
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

You should post details of your router wireless settings, including;

• Which band is in use (or both) 2.4 / 5 GHz?
• What encryption type is applied to each band?
• What data rate has been selected?
• Is the SSID visible?
• What SSID have you set for each band?
• Have you enabled the Wireless Access List?
• Is the Guest network enabled?
• Is WMM enabled in the QoS page?
• In a scan can the MSI/Dell detect your network?

Remember that 802.11N can operate on either the 2.4GHz or 5GHz band, but many 802.11N adaptors are 2.4GHz only.
Message 2 of 13
BradS
Novice

• Which band is in use (or both) 2.4 / 5 GHz? BOTH
• What encryption type is applied to each band? WPA2-PSK [AES]
• What data rate has been selected? Up to 300
• Is the SSID visible? YES
• What SSID have you set for each band? HOMENET (G), N-HOMENET (N)
• Have you enabled the Wireless Access List? NO
• Is the Guest network enabled? YES
• Is WMM enabled in the QoS page? NO
• In a scan can the MSI/Dell detect your network? NO
Message 3 of 13
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Both laptops will connect via wireless G. I have flashed with the latest version (WNDR3700v2 10.0.0.12).

Did you hard reset the router after flashing the firmware? if not do it..
Also if the issues are the same, go to lower firmware (ANY) and test out.

if you can set to use 54Mbps and see SSID name and should able to see in N speed.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 4 of 13
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

BradS wrote:
• Is WMM enabled in the QoS page? NO

WMM is an 802.11n requirement for high throughput (greater than 54Mbps).
Message 5 of 13
BradS
Novice

After doing some more research, it appears the Intel Centrino Wireless-N 130 adapter is a single band card (2.4 GHz).

It also appears (guessing) the 3700 only works with dual band for 802.11n.

I may replace with the Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235 which has identicle features and is a dual band card.
Message 6 of 13
sabretooth
Apprentice

Mars Mug wrote:
WMM is an 802.11n requirement for high throughput (greater than 54Mbps).

Well, I may disagree with this. My WNDR3400v2 is running with WMM off and I am connected at 162Mbps - 270Mbps. Definitely over 54Mbps.
Message 7 of 13
BradS
Novice

RESOLVED

I had done the following steps:

1. Downgraded to 10.0.0.6
2. Changed to 2.4 GHz speed from 54 Mbps to Up to 300 Mbps

I had previously attempted this with the 10.0.0.12 firmware, but this did not work. Net Gear stated there is nothing wrong with the latest revision of firmware, but this is evidence that is not the case.

Thanks everyone for the posts!

Brad
Message 8 of 13
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

sabretooth wrote:
Well, I may disagree with this. My WNDR3400v2 is running with WMM off and I am connected at 162Mbps - 270Mbps. Definitely over 54Mbps.

I won't bother digging up all the links, but WMM is related to an 802.11n QoS requirement;

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-features/30938-dont-mess-with-wmm

Some routers (not necessarily Netgear) may not conform to the final standard, and may be only Draft compliant. Also it's not clear how the requirements must be implemented, in some cases the reported link rate (e.g. 300Mbps) may not match the actual throughput, which is less than 54Mbps. I am not doubting what you say about the WNDR3400, but that does not change the 802.11n requirement.
Message 9 of 13
sabretooth
Apprentice

Understand. However with WWM enabled, Comcast wireless speed is 12-14Mbps. WMM disabled Comcast wireless speed is 20-24Mbps. Verified.
Message 10 of 13
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

OK, but neither of those rates exceed 54Mbps?
Message 11 of 13
sabretooth
Apprentice

Understand, but that's my Comcast speed max. I've always wanted to know why the difference.
Message 12 of 13
jlewter
Guide

@ Sabretooth.
It does sound a bit odd what your saying. There are times when lower speed settings result in higher throughput due to cleaner transmission (less resends). Perhaps it has something to do with good neighbour policy too, not sure if it's turned on and off with WMM. Speed test sites are not the best way to judge actual throughput, but as a general indication it does show something may be slightly wrong.

@ BradS
You need to think of 2.4 and 5ghz as two seperate wifi signals. This is because they are two seperate wifi networks!

Cards that say 11a/b/g/n will connect to both bands. (not at the same time!)
Cards that say 11b/g/n will connect only to the 2.4 band.
The logo does change from time to time, but that's the best way to tell at a glance.

Two Radio's (like the 3700 has) means you can run both the 2.4 band and 5ghz band at the same time. Some routers may support both bands but only have one radio meaning that you have to pick 2.4 or 5ghz when the device is set up. ISP's may pick this option as it's cheaper than buying a device with two radio's.

There is a new band you will be seeing soon. ac.
So the new logo's will be something like 11 a/b/g/n/ac and probably looking like "(a(b(g(WiFi)n)ac)" on the logo. Your device only needs support one of the connection types to connect to such a device.

Just keep in mind that the "N" standard does not mean that the device supports the use of 5ghz, it needs to have the "A" standard listed with it.
Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements