× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wireless incoming WIFI to router and DHCP

BernieMBL
Initiate

Wireless incoming WIFI to router and DHCP

Hi,

Been using a Verizon WiFi Device for years. We are in a remote area in Texas so it's actually been good. 

Just aded Solar and the Software interface system wants me to use a Router that is DHCP. OK with the DHCP, but I can't seem to find a router that will get the INCOMING Wifi signal without a wire. There is no provision on the wifi device from Verizon to add a Ehternet cable.

Soooo, looking for a Router that is DHCP and doesn't require a cable to get the internet. 

Would appreciate any input on a model of Netgear that has the DHCP feature and can pick up my WiFi device signal without a Ethernet Cable! Attached picture of the WiFi so its clear.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 4

Re: Wireless incoming WIFI to router and DHCP

@BernieMBL wrote:

Been using a Verizon WiFi Device for years.

What is that device? Is it a router of some sort?

How do you connect to the Internet?

@BernieMBL wrote:

....I can't seem to find a router that will get the INCOMING Wifi signal without a wire.

Maybe because that is how routers work. They are designed for a wired connection.

Devices that can connect to a wifi source are usually called WiFi Range Extenders. Netgear makes a bunch of them.

WiFi Range Extenders: Boost Your WiFi Range | NETGEAR

I have no idea whether or not any of these provides the features you need.

Have you asked for Internet service provider for help? It should know what works on its system. Then again, many ISPs seem to have a hard time dealing with out of the ordinary questions. Maybe that's why you turned up here.

Message 2 of 4
plemans
Guru

The verizon hot spots (from your picture) have their own dhcp built into them. Adding a router/device with another dhcp server tends to make things worse, not better. And sinces its wifi only, if you *actually* did need another dhcp server, you'd want something like a travel router that supports wisp mode. Wisp mode allows a router to use a wireless signal as a WAN port.

Don't think that'll fix your issue though.  

So maybe a better description of what devices have you and the actual problem you're seeing can help us to help you. 

When you get specific of needing a dhcp server but don't tell us the details of why or how you came to that conclusion, can give you bad answers/data that only make the problem worse. 

Message 3 of 4
BernieMBL
Initiate

Hi Plemans,

Thanks for your helpful reply. I am trying to get access to a LAN for a new solar management system I just installed. They stated I needed a DHCP Router to do so. Obviously, they are "assuming" I have a means to connect to it - which I don't!

The access to the solar software was thru that only - per the instructions. However, when I talked to them directly, they indicated I can use their connection Xanbus box as a Network and get into their system. Soooo, kinda solved itself?

Problem is on my laptop I can only have the one Wifi hooked up so that's bummer, but certainly workable!! The goal was to get into the Solar Software Management System and set it up - I can.... 🙂

Thank you for helping

Bernie

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7