× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Wireless repeater function missing - now what do I do?

EJBsf
Star

Wireless repeater function missing - now what do I do?

I just moved to a new place. The front and back of the apt are a fair distance from each other. The N750 router's in the back of the building, wifi is weak in the front. Stringing ethernet cable is not an option so so I planned to use a spare N600 as a repeater in the front

If I'm reading forum posts correctly, the repeater function has been discontinued. Is this true? Why? More important, what do I do now to get decent wifi in the front of the house?  

Is setting up another cable modem connection a possibility? There is a Comcast cable in the front, can I set it up there? If so, can I use the same name? 

Any help on where to go from here is much appreciated.

EdB

Model: WNDR4300|N750 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
EJBsf
Star

Thanks for the replies. Consensus seems to be the powerline solution. I've ordered a set and will see what happens.

EdB

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

The repeater function in Netgear's routers used an older method called WDS (Wireless Distribution System).  WDS was never well defined.  Netgear's implementation was crippled because it did not support wireless security.  I believe it was for these reasons, plus a desire to steer customers to their range extenders, that Netgear removed the repeater function from their routers.

You have a few options to cover the front of the house with Wi-Fi:

1. Install a Powerline network in lieu of stringing Ethernet.  Then connect the N600 and N750 to it.  Reconfigure the N600 as an Access Point.
  2. Install a MoCA network (uses coax) using adapters like these.  Connect the N600 and N750 to it, like option 1.
  3. Buy a range extender and place in the middle of the house. 
Message 2 of 4

@TheEther wrote:
Install a Powerline network in lieu of stringing Ethernet.  Then connect the N600 and N750 to it.  Reconfigure the N600 as an Access Point.

That was my choice. Powerline has come a long way in the last few years.

You don't say what you want to do on the "remote" devices. I stream TV over powerline. Few demands are more severe than that.

Message 3 of 4
EJBsf
Star

Thanks for the replies. Consensus seems to be the powerline solution. I've ordered a set and will see what happens.

EdB

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7