× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wireless turning itself off

Identity
Aspirant

Wireless turning itself off

Hi,

I have searched for this on the forum already and, while other people are experiencing random loss of WiFi, none of their symptoms mach what I'm getting.

I have a Netgear N150 Wireles Router WNR1000 v3 and firmware is up-to-date (Firmware Version V1.0.2.68_60.0.93).

Once or twice a day we notice there is no network available and when I look at the lights on the front of the router, the blue 'wireless' and the green 'Push 'N' Connect' lights are off.  I press the wireless button on top of the box (it is mounted vertically) and, as expected, they both come back on again.  The router is turning off WiFi on its own.  The ethernet network part is running fine all the time (sometimes I'm using the computers plugged in to port 3

The DSL modem is plugged into the Router WAN port using an Ethernet cable, my main PC is plugged into LAN1, a Linux box is pluged in to LAN2, LAN3 is unused and my phone/hub is on LAN4, which as far as I can tell is completely typical. and I never notice any interruption or degradation to these ports, just the wireless turning itself off. It is scheduled to turn off between 0:00 and 06:00.

Has anybody else experienced this?  I have tried a reset but it has not made any difference.  Is this a known problem? 

Thanks in advance for your help on this!

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Wireless turning itself off

Is there anything in the router log which might relate to this? Perhaps the router is accessing the NTP server at these times and setting its clock, if so a scheduled time setting start of 00:00 may be the reason for the temporary loss of WiFi. If you set that start time to 00:05 for example then if it is a time related issue the problem may disappear.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Is there anything in the router log which might relate to this? Perhaps the router is accessing the NTP server at these times and setting its clock, if so a scheduled time setting start of 00:00 may be the reason for the temporary loss of WiFi. If you set that start time to 00:05 for example then if it is a time related issue the problem may disappear.

Message 2 of 6
TheEther
Guru

Some random ideas:

1. Make sure the router is receiving adequate ventilation and is out of direct sunlight, in case it is overheating.
  2. Try changing the Wi-Fi channel, in case a neighbor has congested the current one.
  3. Try disabling the wireless schedule, in case it has a bug.
  4. Change both admin and Wi-Fi passwords, in case someone has gained access to your router and/or network.
Message 3 of 6
Identity
Aspirant

Thanks.  I noticed it again today at 11:38am.  Just looked at the log and was puzzled at first to see that the router thinks the current time is 5am - but it's 4pm here in Melbourne! Did a few sums and realised the router's clock is set to Greenwich Mean Time (or should I say UTC).  11am here = 12 am UTC, and the log entry is...

[wireless signal schedule] The wireless signal is OFF,  Tuesday, Nov 17,2015 00:00:00

So I guess that was the problem.

NB: I would not have made this mistake if either the wireless settings page or the log entries had the text 'UTC' next to the time - it looked as if it was working in local time.

Message 4 of 6
TheEther
Guru

Did you set the time zone on the router? The setting is under Schedule.

Message 5 of 6
Identity
Aspirant

I have now!  It was under the Advanced tab... Security... Schedule.  I had set my wireless on/off times to work correctly based on GMT.  When I changed the timezone and went back to Advanced Setup... Wireless settings, the on/off times had adjusted to be correct for local time.  I had assumed the router knew what timezone it was in from the ISP or somewhere. All good now.

Thanks.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7