Wlan devices can't get IP when using separate DHCP server

netusr
Follower

Wlan devices can't get IP when using separate DHCP server

I have an existing DHCP and DNS server in my lan in a linux pc. I've disabled DHCP in the router. The problem is that wifi devices can't connect as they can't get an IP address.

I've tried connecting my old DG834G router (with DHCP disabled), and wifi devices can connect fine via that, and in the log files in the linux PC I can see them getting IP addresses.

Is there anything I need to do on the DGND3700 to get it to play nice with the existing DHCP server?

Failing that, is there a way I can point it to use the DNS server in the lan? If I set the lan DNS server as one of the DNS servers in the "Basic Settings" screen, I can no longer access the router and need to factory-reset it using the pinhole button.
Message 1 of 4
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Wlan devices can't get IP when using separate DHCP server

check for a wireless isolation setting in router setup
Message 2 of 4
Scubbie
Apprentice

Try the guide in the thread below.

Whilst it specifically deals with a Sky router as the primary router (the IP address for a Sky router is 192.168.0.1), the principal is the same for any other router.

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/asking-help/41883-how-connect-two-routers-together.html
Message 3 of 4
Ryster
Tutor

I have a separate DHCP server too on my Server 2008 box and my wireless devices can get IP addresses just fine through the DGND3700.

As searay suggested, make sure you have wireless isolation turned off in your wifi settings. Restricting your wireless devices to the internet only means they don't talk to your LAN at all, including to get IP addresses from DHCP/

Enable Wireless Isolation

If checked, the wireless client under this SSID can only access internet and it can not access other wireless clients even under the same SSID, Ethernet clients or this device. Other clients can not access the wireless client, either.
Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E