Wndr3700v1 Attached devices

pckarma112
Aspirant

Wndr3700v1 Attached devices

Since upgrading firmware to new 78. When I check attached devices. Router shows nothing. I upgraded to be able to run in ap mode. That is what mode it is in now. I also have a wndr4300 in ap mode too. It will show all devices attatched. The other issue I have noticed is I can no longer run the router with just the 5ghz radio on. If I turn off 2.4. Then both go off! This is confusing. Anyone else with this version to test?
Message 1 of 16
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Wndr3700v1 Attached devices

Have you factory reset the router and re-entered settings manually? While this may not always be essential when there are significant changes to functionality it is often a good move.

Attached devices may not be visible until they generate some network activity, but I would expect that list to be at least partly populated.
pckarma112
Aspirant

I will try an fr today and seevwhat that does. What is strange is this same router was working fine before the fw update. At that time I simply had wan and dhcp turned off. The cat cable was connected to a lan port. Devices could connect and I could see them under attached devices. I have thought about just unchecking ap and trying it the other way again. I will do both today and see if it will work.
Message 3 of 16
pckarma112
Aspirant

Well I give up. I was really happy to see the new firmware had option to run in ap mode. But I can not get it to work. I did do a fr as suggested. When setting up router in ap mode. Once you give it a static ip and set the gateway. The router starts turning off the radios? Turning them back on or and adjusting the power. Results in not being able to connect to ap again. I have a wndr4300 set up as a ap. It works fine. But this one just loses the radio if you make any changes to name or power. Im at a loss on this. Im either going to try downgrade to previous fw and just turn off dhcp or maybe try ddwrt. Its frustrating. I really wanted this new fw to work. But it just refuses. If anyone trys this and gets it to work. Please let me know. Thanks andy for the suggestions though.
Message 4 of 16
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I’m not familiar with AP mode for the ‘3700, but with the R7000 it’s simply a case of using the WAN port as normal, and allowing the gateway router to allocate the IP to the R7000, I don’t have to set static IP data in the R7000. Are you sure you are using the ‘3700 AP mode properly?
Retired_Member
Not applicable

If it works as a router be thankful, it was their first attempt at a Dual Band and most options other than basic WIFI and routing weren't ready for prime time.

Since you're into relics LOL try locating a 4000
Message 6 of 16
pckarma112
Aspirant

Andy, you have asked twice if I am sure if I had the router in ap mode. Yes, it is worded slightly different. Does not matter. The intended purpose is to make it appear I have done something wrong. I have not. It is as simple as this. Once the router has been configured as a ap and then moved to its new location. Upon reconnecting and turning on. It will change its ip address to 10.0.0.1. Rebooting will not help. It simply gets stuck. Period. Now to address the idiotic sarcastic suggestion to find a r whatever. WHY? This router was a cheap pick up at a garage sale. I only needed it to work as a AP. Your suggestion is the same as what you would get from a paid support tech. Sounds really familiar. Just spend more money even if you dont need to. So, my question is. Who do you work for?
In the end. Here is what I did. I stopped trying to get this buggy firmware to work. Flashed it with a well known open source one and ten minutes later. Its done and working perfect.Now it is sitting out in my garden shed doing its job well. Not bad for a cheap relic.. huh? All it needed was some decent software on it and it's fine. Now please have the decency to post my response. As for the suggestion to upgrade to some other r. Please read the entire post's. This unit was never meant to be a main router. Just a simple cheap ap.
Message 7 of 16
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

pckarma112 wrote:
Andy, you have asked twice if I am sure if I had the router in ap mode.

I don’t think so, I only have two posts in this thread and I only question AP mode in my second post?

Newer Netgear routers have a dedicated AP mode function which allows the use of the WAN port when in that mode, older Netgear models don’t have a dedicated AP mode but the same effect is easily achieved by disabling DHCP and connecting the network gateway/DHCP server to one of the router LAN ports (as you appear to have previously configured the '3700). I am however aware that the ‘3700 has a firmware update that allows use of an AP mode, but since I don’t have a ‘3700 it’s not easy for me to check, and your statement that you had to enter IP data suggests that the functionality isn’t quite the same as the R7000.

So my questioning of the AP mode setup was intended to find out how you set it up, what options you selected when, was the ‘3700 connected to the router during or after the AP setup, perhaps I should have been more explicit in my question? I know that most Netgear routers will change the LAN subnet if they detect the same subnet on the WAN side, which is what your router seems to be doing, but it should not do this while in AP mode, unless perhaps the change is occurring before AP mode is enabled?

Anyway, since you are happy with the third party firmware solution maybe this is all now academic?
confuxion
Novice

I'm completely confused about something I saw in your first post, pckarma112. First off, I just came across this thread, which appears to have been created between 4/13 and 4/15 of 2015, and you're referring to some "new 78" firmware upgrade? Could you elaborate on exactly what version this firmware upgrade is? The last updated firmware for the WNDR3700v1 (which I have), at least as far as I knew, was v1.0.16.98, which, if memory serves me right, was released back in October of 2011. Is there some new firmware for this model that I don't know about? Where can I find it if so? It's not on the product support page on Netgear's website. One other thing, pckarma112, I saw your most recent comment about how the router's IP address inexplicably changed to 10.0.0.1 after powering it up (after upgrading the firmware, apparently), when using it in AP mode. FWIW, that's exactly what happened to mine, although it took almost a year (from what I can tell) to finally switch it's IP over to that obscure addy. Sounds like this is an issue w/o a workaround, judging by what you wrote. If you wouldn't mind telling me, what alternate FW did you switch over to? I'd like to mimic the steps you took. Thanks in advance for your help!
Message 9 of 16
endea
Aspirant

confuxion wrote:
The last updated firmware for the WNDR3700v1 (which I have), at least as far as I knew, was v1.0.16.98, which, if memory serves me right, was released back in October of 2011. Is there some new firmware for this model that I don't know about? Where can I find it if so? It's not on the product support page on Netgear's website.

If you look at this NetGear Webpage Link
..it says a bit down the page that:
This update applies to the following products
• WNDR3700
• WNDR3700v4

However when I look at the WNDR3700v1 download webpage it does seem to show that the Firmware Version 1.0.16.98 is the latest one like you said, however it's release notes says it's for WDR3700 which 'maybe' one can use v1.0.2.78?...or maybe you can't, seems confusing ..and so now I wonder about your question, perhaps WNDR3700v1 should stay with v1.0.16.98 I don't know, so we would need Andy or another NetGear tech to clear this up.
Message 10 of 16
pckarma112
Aspirant

Be happy to try. First forget the 78. It is ending in 98as you wrote. My fault on the 78. At the time this mess was created. I had 3 routers I was updating. Two were 4300 model. One 3700v1. So thats where the confusion on the ending number came in. Either way, all of them showed a update available and that is where the mess began. The 4300 upgrades went fine. The 3700 was a complete disaster. Im not going to go through all that again.
What you need to know is the name of the firmware I used. That would be DDWRT. It is pretty easy to find. The only thing you want to be sure of is to get the latest version for your version of the 3700. The latest version will be found on thier ftp server. Do not use the wiki or the router data base search on thier website. It takes a little reading in thier forum to find it. But it is worth it. Flashing process is pretty simple and thier are complete instructions on the wiki. Just make sure you read and follow and be patient with the flash.
Mine took about 10 minutes to complete. Some people have been known to be impatient and wind up bricking. When it is done. You will have a router you can pretty much do anything with and for me it has been rock solid.
I do not know why your router decided to go to the other 10...iip address. Unless maybe you had a power outage? Who knows.. All the info you need to do this is a simple google search. It's all out there and is pretty easy. If you seriously cant find it. Let me know and I'll point you. Good luck.
Message 11 of 16
pckarma112
Aspirant

Hopefully anyone with any intelligence who has read the last couple posts will figure out what is going on here. If you have any experience with forums. You will understand. There is always a certain set of old boys group in any forum. Tick them off by being truthful about their darling product or subject and watch the attacks begin. It is usually about a spelling error, grammar or in this case. a couple of numbers that have nothing to do with the original subject which was lousy firmware. You will also read where many times the post are from "junior" members. Why is that? Because you can be anyone you like by registering with a new e mail address. Just a couple of wordy posts like that and the whole thread goes from one page to two. Now unfortunately some people will not bother to read the second page and understand what is really happening. Its really all about the terrible new(1.0.16.98) firmware and the time consuming problems it can cause. Read my first couple posts and you will understand. Just do yourself a favor and stay on the previous version or better yet. Upgrade it to DDWRT. Now, speaking of DDWRT. It is a well known and very popular firmware. How or why someone would ask which open source product I used mystified me. It and others are all over the net and there is even a wiki and help forums for it. But, on the off chance that person had really not heard of it. I did post and I also sent him a pm. letting him know if he really could not google it. I would send him the links. That was yesterday and have not heard anything back yet.
One last point about the Netgear firmware. Most companies when issuing a new firmware will at least change the ending numbers. That is the logical way to do it. Right? Not Netgear. It just does not make any sense. I know I am being picky on that one. Yet it would go a long way in helping their customers. Good luck which ever you choose and remember google is your friend.
Message 12 of 16
lurzan
Novice

endea wrote:
If you look at this NetGear Webpage Link
..it says a bit down the page that:
This update applies to the following products
• WNDR3700
• WNDR3700v4

However when I look at the WNDR3700v1 download webpage it does seem to show that the Firmware Version 1.0.16.98 is the latest one like you said, however it's release notes says it's for WDR3700 which 'maybe' one can use v1.0.2.78?...or maybe you can't, seems confusing ..and so now I wonder about your question, perhaps WNDR3700v1 should stay with v1.0.16.98 I don't know, so we would need Andy or another NetGear tech to clear this up.

I do see anything mentioned about firmware version v1.0.2.78 in the release note of the firmware of WNDR3700v1
Technologies make work easier

Nazrul Haque
Message 13 of 16
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

pckarma112 wrote:
You will also read where many times the post are from "junior" members. Why is that? Because you can be anyone you like by registering with a new e mail address.

I understand what you are saying there, I see it happening in other forums I moderate, but when I spot that sort of thing being done maliciously I will invariably ban both (or more) accounts. I have no reason to be suspicious of any junior members who have posted in this thread.
pckarma112
Aspirant

I came back to find this thread mostly to apologize. Please understand I was under a lot of stress with this mess. I finally used last version of firmware for this router. Just be careful if it resets on you. Other than that. It works fine.
Message 15 of 16
pckarma112
Aspirant

One other note. I apologize for myself. As for the junior members. I hope you do. It just ticks people off.
Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E