× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Would like to unplug my Home wifi. and not use it. WNR2000v5

joejet
Aspirant

Would like to unplug my Home wifi. and not use it. WNR2000v5

Can I just unplug my router and not use it?  Traveling to Germany for an extended time.  Will continue to use my laptop.  This a home unit.  Connected with (2) ethernet cables.  I am the only user. 

Model: WNR2000v5|N300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Would like to unplug my Home wifi. and not use it. WNR2000v5

You can directly wire you laptop to the Arris modem. Thats the only device that will work though and you won't have wifi. Is there a reason you don't want to use the router? The wnr2000v5 uses minimal power. Like 6 watts. Thats less than your cell phone charging. 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 10

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Sure. Its never a bad thing to shut off your network if you're going to be out of town for a while. Provided you don't want access to anything else connected at your place, you'll be fine. 

Message 2 of 10
joejet
Aspirant

Have (2) Ethernet cables.  (1) going from laptop to WIFI Router, (1) going from WiFi Router to my Internet provider's router. (Spectrum). I don't want to have a router anymore.  Can I disconnect the Ethernet cables a go back to my provider's router without losing the Internet?

Message 3 of 10
plemans
Guru

@joejet wrote:

Have (2) Ethernet cables.  (1) going from laptop to WIFI Router, (1) going from WiFi Router to my Internet provider's router. (Spectrum). I don't want to have a router anymore.  Can I disconnect the Ethernet cables a go back to my provider's router without losing the Internet?

So you're running a router and the cable provider is running a router? Or is it a modem? Model numbers and brand names would help more. 

Message 4 of 10
joejet
Aspirant

My router:  WNR2000v5---N300 WiFi.    Connected with (2) Ethenet cables.  Provider's router:  ARRIS-TM1602

Message 5 of 10
plemans
Guru

You can directly wire you laptop to the Arris modem. Thats the only device that will work though and you won't have wifi. Is there a reason you don't want to use the router? The wnr2000v5 uses minimal power. Like 6 watts. Thats less than your cell phone charging. 

Message 6 of 10
joejet
Aspirant

Thank you very much for your advice.  You have suggested that I could connect my laptop back to my provider's modem.  (actually that is where it was before the WiFi hookup).  Do you have a solution as to how I could connect back to the provider's modem?  I think I mentioned before as to how the Ethernet cables are attached.  My reason for all  this is complicated to say the least.  I apologize for all this and I am gratefull for all your help. 

Message 7 of 10
plemans
Guru

ISP provided modem---ethernet cable----laptop. 

thats how you'd connect. Restart the modem after hookup. 

I'd still leave the router in line but thats just me. Again, it draws very low power and you can always go in and disable the wifi. But with it hooked up, at least you coud use other devices or even turn the wifi on for devices. 

Message 8 of 10
joejet
Aspirant

SO.....I will connect (1) ethernet cable to my ISP's Modem and then to my laptop.   I will disconnect the other ethernet cable from the ISP's modem and the WiFi router.   Shut down laptop and then boot up the ISP Modem.    Cross fingers!  Thank you for your help.   Your the best. 

Message 9 of 10
joejet
Aspirant

SO.....I will connect (1) ethernet cable to my ISP's Modem and then to my laptop.   I will disconnect the other ethernet cable from the ISP's modem and the WiFi router.   Shut down laptop and then boot up the ISP Modem.    Cross fingers!  Thank you for your help.   Your the best. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7