Xbox live

ghobson28
Aspirant

Xbox live

I'm having issue with my Xbox live connection. I get lag spikes when playing first person shooters. Everything on the router is default except I changed Nat from secure to open. I have 3 Xbox's connected so I use Upnp to auto portforward. Is there something I'm forgetting to do? By the way My Xbox's are connected wirelessly and I'm on the 5.0 band.

Thanks in advance
Message 1 of 13
eXR3
Novice

Re: Xbox live

What firmware were you using beforehand?
Message 2 of 13
ghobson28
Aspirant

Hey eXR3 thanks for the response. The firmware that I was using is V1.0.2.14_1.0.23.
Message 3 of 13
eXR3
Novice

ghobson28 wrote:
Hey eXR3 thanks for the response. The firmware that I was using is V1.0.2.14_1.0.23.

Hi ghobson,

I also had problems with fw 1.0.2.14. Xbox and ps3 connections were very sluggish.

Have you tried fw1.0.2.10?

Make sure you do this as per Netgear "Note: Please remember to do factory default after firmware upgrade. Enter "Backup Settings" in the web GUI and click "Erase" button of "Revert to factory default settings"

You also may want to consider that it may not be the router at fault. Sometimes your ISP may be doing something in your area or the person hosting the game is probably lagging.

If you haven't already done so.

I recommended giving your xbox it's own IP.

Let me know what you come up with.
Message 4 of 13
TheMonarch
Aspirant

I have tried each firmware release and I have found the only one that works reliably is 1.0.0.68. This is especially true with my Xbox 360 and media center. While the newest firmware (1.0.2.14) is better than some of the previous versions, only 1.0.0.68 is functional with my 360 and media center. All the other versions result in frequent connection timeouts and seemingly slow speeds. I'll just have to try the next firmware release and hope it has this issue resolved.
Message 5 of 13
ghobson28
Aspirant

Thank you guys for the suggestions. I will try both firmwares and update you guys on which one solves my issue. I will also trying giving my Xbox it's own Ip via ip reservation.
Message 6 of 13
Ephone
Tutor

ghobson28 wrote:
By the way My Xbox's are connected wirelessly and I'm on the 5.0 band.

Do you mean Xbox are connecting to 5G band? As I remember Xbox only supports 2.4GHz am I mistaken?

It's true as eXR3 mentioned that sometimes the internet speed may cause influence. Are you running any services in you network at the same time (p2p, ftp...etc)?

What's the distance between the router and xbox?
Message 7 of 13
ghobson28
Aspirant

Yes I do mean the 5g band. I have the Microsoft wireless N adapter that supports both bands. Microsoft told me to try the 5g band because it has less interference than the 2.4 band. I have 2 Xbox 360's that run at the same time nothing else. As far as speed goes I subscribe to Comcast Cable INTERNET, with 36 download and 6.23 upload speeds. My Xbox is only 8 feet away.
Message 8 of 13
ghobson28
Aspirant

It has been 24 hours of me testing fw1.0.2.10. I have had excellent results! But I will still try fw1.0.0.68 and see which I like better. I will keep everyone posted.
Message 9 of 13
eXR3
Novice

ghobson28 wrote:
It has been 24 hours of me testing fw1.0.2.10. I have had excellent results! But I will still try fw1.0.0.68 and see which I like better. I will keep everyone posted.

Glad to hear it Smiley Happy.

Keep in mind that if you go with the older firmware you will lose the GUEST NETWORK features.

Also, firmware 1.0.2.10 enhances wireless range which Cybercare mentioned in other threads (I can't find it at the moment).
Message 10 of 13
ghobson28
Aspirant

So it's settled I like both firmwares but I use the guest network so I'll stick with fw1.0.2.10. I need some advice on one other setting. Should I disable media server? I don't know if this affects Xbox live or not.
Message 11 of 13
eXR3
Novice

ghobson28 wrote:
So it's settled I like both firmwares but I use the guest network so I'll stick with fw1.0.2.10. I need some advice on one other setting. Should I disable media server? I don't know if this affects Xbox live or not.

If you are not planning on streaming any media from the router then you can turn have this it off if you like.

I personally have this enabled since I stream a lot of movies from the router to my xbox, ps3, laptops etc. etc. I have been doing this even with my previous router and do not see any performance issues when playing on xbox live.

The R6300 is a work horse! I have been throwing everything at it and I have not experienced any hiccups whatsoever.

There would be file transfers and movies streaming to multiple devices in my network while playing xbox/ps3 online and so far there's no issue. Oh and I also have VOIP and there's no interruptions at all.

I am just praying that the firmware that's released in the future improves the router instead of breaking it Smiley Happy
Message 12 of 13
ghobson28
Aspirant

:Thank you so much for all of your help! I'm with you, I hope the next firmware will be a lot better than the last firmware upgrade. I'm glad this thread will help other gamers out there! Until next time,

take care!
Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E