• 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Aspirant

attached devices

Today I changed the passwords for my router and I see that I have one Wired connection (my desktop) and two wireless connections (no ip addresses, no device names, both have mac addresses) on the 2.4 Ghz.  This is concerning as I had not provisioned any new devices since changing my passwords.

Any Ideas what these devices could be?

Message 1 of 4
Highlighted
Guru

Re: attached devices

You can use any one of the MAC address lookup tools to see the manufacturer of the devices.  Here is a helpful web search.

Message 2 of 4
Highlighted
Aspirant

@ TheEther - Thank you, great advice.   I checked them and The first prefix resloves back to NETGEAR would the router show that it is connected to itslelf?   The second is Wistron Neweb Corp (based out of Taiwan) and it would appear that this is associated with Direct TV.  How is the direct tv device contecting to my network if I changed the password and did not grant it permission?

Message 3 of 4
Highlighted
Guru

The router would not list its own MAC address as an attached device.  Do you, perhaps, have a Netgear range extender or USB Wi-Fi adapter?  If so, maybe you forgot to update the password on that device.

Was the Direct TV device previously connected to your network before you changed the password?  If so, it may continue to appear in the table of attached devices for a short amount of time before it's purged.  That doesn't mean the device is actively connected to your network.  If it doesn't have an IP address, it can't do anything.  But if it were to acquire an IP address, then I would be concerned.

You are using WPA2 security, right?

Message 4 of 4