Aspirant

bad connection over time

My WNDR3800 router has latest FW (*.48)
The acces to the ready share HD connected drive is very slow and the availability drops after a few days. This is the same for the laser printer attached via a bridge.
The issues are gone after a reboot of the 3800, not of the other network devices.

I tried several things and have resorted to a timer that removes the power for a few minutes every night. I did not find a timed reboot option on the 3800. DD-WRT does have that option.

Does anyone encountered similar problems? If so how are they solved?
Is DD-WRT a viable option for the WNDR3800? I would like to have the NAS option available.

BR, Casper
Message 1 of 11
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Re: bad connection over time

Did you try resetting your router to factor default? Try this link:

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9665/related/1
Message 2 of 11
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Is your drive on the approved list?
Message 3 of 11
Highlighted
Aspirant

It is a Samsung USB powered drive.
Where can I find the approved device list?

Please note this does not explain why the connection with the DD-WRT bridge & Brother printer is also affected.
I put a clock switch on the mains so it is rebooted every night. It seems to help.
The Firmware does not have a reboot on time option

Also strange is that copying to the Readyshare is very slow. Attached to the bridge is a Lacie EDmini and this is more than 2 times faster.

BR, Casper
Message 4 of 11
Highlighted
Virtuoso

It is a Samsung USB powered drive.
Where can I find the approved device list?

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/18985
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 5 of 11
Highlighted
Aspirant

I have had this same issue but with some other items like my Wemo and my wireless thermostat. Drives me nuts. I have tried just about every setting I can (including the factory reset). I have also tried assigning the components that "disappear" over time, a static IP address. That seemed to keep them on the network for a few extra days but they still disappeared after about day 5 or 6.

What I have ended up having to do us put a timer on the router's plug into the power strip and I have it turn off at 3:00am and turn back on at 3:10am every day.

Completely stupid that I have to do this and as soon as I can find a router that has all of the features and distance/power as this router, I am dumping this one because it drives me crazy that over time the performance just deteriorates over time even after not touching a single setting.
Message 6 of 11
Highlighted
Luminary

Have you tried reverting back to the v1.0.0.38 firmware? IIRC, last year it was reported that firmware released after that version had various issues. Read this thread here, which includes a direct download link for the v1.0.0.38 firmware.
_____
WNDR3700v1 (v1.0.7.98NA) - Router uptime (d:h:m:s): 1155:02:31:46 - How To Check and Change Your Router's Firmware: http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=63234
Message 7 of 11
Highlighted
Aspirant

I did read the post regarding the .44 and higher SW versions. This week I took a more radical step and moved to DD-WRT. This looked simple but the build for the WDNR3800 is not that good. The WEB GUI is a bid buggy in storing the data when using "save" and "apply". My work around was to type the correct entries twice. Uptime is now 2+ days so the test for the dropped connection is not finished. Upside to moving to DD-WRT: far better control over settings (fi power output,QoS, DMZ etc) If anyone wants to do the same consider OpenWRT or Gargoyle. I might move to one of them.
Message 8 of 11
Highlighted
Aspirant

Uptime router: 7 days Uptime Bridge: 5 days Connection is still ok, looking good
Message 9 of 11
Highlighted
Aspirant

Uptime Router: 44 days
Uptime Bridge: 36 days (needed a reset due to ntp issue)
Good connection to Printer and NAS.

Problem is solved. Smiley Happy
Check this forum for updates: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=28
For every build there is a tread stating the issues. I run DD-WRT v24-sp2 (03/25/13) std - build 21061

Succes!
Message 10 of 11
Highlighted
Aspirant

I installed DD-WRT on my 3800 and am currently running v24-sp2 (12/24/13) std (SVN revision 23204) and haven't looked back. I haven't had any issues since dropping the Netgear firmware many months ago.

My WNDR3800 is no longer my primary router (its now and ASUS AC88U) but I rarely have to reboot it and it is now rock solid. I can't say the same when it was running with the Netgear firmware.

Sadly it will probably be my last Netgear due to the way they failed to iron out the kinks with their firmware before abandoning the 3800.
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements