c3700 n600 question

corvairbob
Tutor

c3700 n600 question

can anyone tell me if i can plug a backup type drive into the usb port on the c3700modem? and if i can how do i access that drive to place backups on it? my computer seen it one time as a readyshare? maybe drive but now it fails to see it, i may have turned it off on the modem. if figure out how to turn it back on and my pc see's it  can i just direct my backup and file i want to save as extra backup files to that drive? and if i change modems can i just plug that drive back into the new modem and have my backup drive come back again? thanks

Model: C3700|N600 Cable Gateway Docsis 3.0
Message 1 of 7

Re: c3700 n600 question

@corvairbob wrote:

can anyone tell me if i can plug a backup type drive into the usb port on the c3700modem?

What USB drive do you have i mind?

Is it on this list?

ReadySHARE USB Drives Compatibility List | Answer | NETGEAR Support

That will give you some clues, although it is far from comprehensive and may be out of date.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 7
corvairbob
Tutor

What USB drive do you have i mind?

Is it on this list?

ReadySHARE USB Drives Compatibility List | Answer | NETGEAR Support

That will give you some clues, although it is far from comprehensive and may be out of date.

no the drive/s i have are not on that short list. i see what the modem maynot ahve the poer to run a usb drive so i connected it to a setup that gets the drive power from a power supply and then the data plugs into the modem so that takes out the power issue. 

is sure would be great to get one of the drives to work. i did turn on the usb redayshare but it still is not showing when i look at the folders on the pc. i remember before i did a reset on this modem a few months ago the redy share was showing. so i have no clue now how them get the readyshare toe ven show now when i look at the folders.  i open the folder now and it is not there but if i look at the network i see the modem. and i have the network discovery on. thanks

Message 3 of 7

USB devices are a poor man's network attached storage (NAS) especially with ReadyShare.

Serious user opt for an Ethernet NAS box.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 4 of 7
corvairbob
Tutor

ok thanks i will look oonto one of those. i have no clue what is is yet but will look for info on it. i have a network switch with open ports so i guess is i was to get some kind of adapter box and connect it to the network switch and then a hard drive and find that drive on the newtwork it should be much better. thanks for that 

Message 5 of 7
corvairbob
Tutor

well after looking for those Ethernet NAS box units  i will have to stay with the poor mans way of doing this. also in researching it theya re telling me i need to have another pc with a larger hard drive to use and a network backup drive. i do not have a spare machine. so i'm back the doing it the poor mans way. thanks

Message 6 of 7

@corvairbob wrote:

well after looking for those Ethernet NAS box units  i will have to stay with the poor mans way of doing this. also in researching it theya re telling me i need to have another pc with a larger hard drive to use and a network backup drive.

I have no idea where you are looking. NAS needs nothing more than an Ethernet cable.

Netgear makes NAS devices, although they are seriously expensive.

41gYx11jZrL._SY355_

It just plugs into a LAN port on your modem/router.

Or buy a USB drive from the Netgear list.

Just another user.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements