× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: can't connect to old laptop

jimwww
Aspirant

can't connect to old laptop

i have an old dell inspirion 15160 laptop i take to the shore. never had trouble connecting to wifi at beach houses. when i tried to connect it to my netgear r6200 router at home i couldn't connect. previously had a cisco router and had no trouble. love the new r6200 for everything in my house, but can't connect to this darn laptop. any suggestions?

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
Daenerys
Luminary

I understand. However, older laptops don't support/accept WPA2 encryption. Depends on the wireless adapter installed. And since it is the only device that is not able to connect, I guess we have isolated the issue. But if you want to test further, you may take a screenshot or take note of the current wireless settings of the router by going to its GUI. 

1. Using a computer connected to the router, open a browser and on the address bar type routerlogin.com or routerlogin.net

2. Type "admin" for the username and "password" for the password

3. Go to Wireless Settings and take a screenshot or take note of the all the information

4. Set Wireless Security to WEP and put 10 alphanumberic characters on key 1. 

5. Hit Apply button

You can now try to connect the non-working laptop. To revert to the original settings just perform the same steps above and set the settings that you took note/screenshot. Other devices will be able to re-connect. 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8

All Replies
Daenerys
Luminary

Do you get any error message? This will help us determine the root cause. Also, if you can provide the laptop's operating system. 

Message 2 of 8
jimwww
Aspirant

the system info is

micrsoft xp

professional

version 2002

service pack 3

dell inspirion 15160

mobile intel R

Pentium R 4 cpu 2.80ghz

1.84 ghz 512 ram

no error message, just keeps trying but failing to connect to my netgear network

thanks,

Jim

Message 3 of 8
Daenerys
Luminary

What is the wireless encryption set on your router? Have you tried WEP?

Message 4 of 8
jimwww
Aspirant

I just go to the automatic "choose a wireless network" on my laptop.  it pull up my netgear and it says "Security enabled wireless network (WPA2)

and "To connect to the network, click Connect. You might need to add additional information"

I do use my Network Key, but the connection never happens.

I don't know how to try WEP.  am afraid to noodle around with the router, because all other connections (streaming, phones, etc) around the house work. 

this old dinosaur laptop is just going on vacation to hook up as an extra device and we always were able to connect up to a vacation house wifi

Thank you,

Jim

Message 5 of 8
Daenerys
Luminary

I understand. However, older laptops don't support/accept WPA2 encryption. Depends on the wireless adapter installed. And since it is the only device that is not able to connect, I guess we have isolated the issue. But if you want to test further, you may take a screenshot or take note of the current wireless settings of the router by going to its GUI. 

1. Using a computer connected to the router, open a browser and on the address bar type routerlogin.com or routerlogin.net

2. Type "admin" for the username and "password" for the password

3. Go to Wireless Settings and take a screenshot or take note of the all the information

4. Set Wireless Security to WEP and put 10 alphanumberic characters on key 1. 

5. Hit Apply button

You can now try to connect the non-working laptop. To revert to the original settings just perform the same steps above and set the settings that you took note/screenshot. Other devices will be able to re-connect. 

Message 6 of 8
jimwww
Aspirant

will try that, it sounds pretty easy.  I will copy these instructions to take along to the shore in case i have trouble connecting to the in house wifi.  I should really just take this very old laptop and make a boat anchor out of it!

thank you very much for all the time and efffort you took to help me, I really do appreciate the kindness!

Have a good one,

Jim

Message 7 of 8
Daenerys
Luminary

Not a problem. Anytime. Woman Happy

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation