× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: cannot update R6250 router

QuestionMark
Aspirant

cannot update R6250 router

I have received several update alerts but kept entering the wrong password. I let it go. The WiFi has gotten very erratic so I tried to get back in after finding the correct password but was sent to the security questions. The first question was correct but the second question wanted my youngest brother's first name, but I don't have a brother and did not select that question. I typed in the answer to the 2nd security question that I had written down and saved but that was not accepted. So I'm stuck.

The router is not very old and is not behaving well and probably needs the updates. I've had the cable company out twice over this issue and last week they swapped out the modem, so I'd like to try the updates before I replace the router.

Any help is appreciated.

Mark

Model: R6260|AC1600 Smart WiFi Router Dual Band Gigabit
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

If you didn't setup the security questions and didn't disable password recovery, it still asks the questions. And then it loops because there isn't a correct answer.

the way around it? Factory reset your device. Push and hold reset for 7-10 seconds or until the lights flash and then reinstall the device. When reinstalling, either setup the security questions or disable them. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
plemans
Guru

If you didn't setup the security questions and didn't disable password recovery, it still asks the questions. And then it loops because there isn't a correct answer.

the way around it? Factory reset your device. Push and hold reset for 7-10 seconds or until the lights flash and then reinstall the device. When reinstalling, either setup the security questions or disable them. 

Message 2 of 5
QuestionMark
Aspirant

Thank you so much! It worked exactly as you described!!!

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

Glad to hear you got it working! If you mark the answer as solved it helps the next person with this issue
Message 4 of 5
QuestionMark
Aspirant

I did. Thank you again!

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7