× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: change my username and password on my Netgear WNDR4300

beamin
Aspirant

change my username and password on my Netgear WNDR4300

I need to change my username and password on my Netgear WNDR4300 but I can't get into the settings even with the Genie. Any help is appreciated.

Model: WNDR4300|N750 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
beamin
Aspirant

I did a scan with a new virus checker and it found a HACK TOOL that it said was medium risk. I removed it and the Netgear Genie now works fine. I was able to change my WIFI name and password with no trouble now.
Thanks for your suggestion of a hard reset, however I didn't need it this time but I will remember it for future reference.
Thanks to all who replied.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Welcome to the community, @beamin

By default, the login is admin and password respectively. 

The username cannot be changed. 

Once you have accessed the admin page you may see the link below for the steps on how to change. 

How do I change the admin password on my NETGEAR router?

However, if you still cannot access the admin page you are only left with one solution and that is to factory reset the router. 

After factory reset, you will need to reconfigure the router to get the Internet connection back. 

Message 2 of 8
beamin
Aspirant

I am sorry but I failed to make myself clear. I wish to change my user name and password for the WIFI on my router.

I used the usual http://www.routerlogin.net with no luck.

I downloaded and installed the genie and when I try to access ROUTER SETTINGS it just sits there and spins the gauge.

It eventually tells me that the Netgear router is not connected to the internet although everything is working fine on the internet.

I have reset to factory defaults and everything is working good on the internet but I still cannot access the router settings to change the WIFI password.

Message 3 of 8
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@beamin Did you try using the IP address (192.168.1.1)?

If you have not, use that instead of the routerlogin.net.

Also, try to access it from a wired computer. 

Message 4 of 8
beamin
Aspirant

Yes I used 192.168.1.1 and I tried a wired connection. No luck.

Message 5 of 8
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Try to do a hard reset by following the steps below.

1. With the unit powered on, press and hold the reset button on the back of unit for 30seconds.

2. Without releasing the reset button, unplug the unit and hold reset for another 30 seconds.

3. Power on the unit while STILL pushing the reset button and count for another 30 seconds before letting it go. 

Message 6 of 8
beamin
Aspirant

I did a scan with a new virus checker and it found a HACK TOOL that it said was medium risk. I removed it and the Netgear Genie now works fine. I was able to change my WIFI name and password with no trouble now.
Thanks for your suggestion of a hard reset, however I didn't need it this time but I will remember it for future reference.
Thanks to all who replied.

Message 7 of 8
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Glad to hear that you were able to change your wireless name and password. 

Thank you for the update as well. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7