× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

cm1000v2 how to mirror MAC address with existing ISP Modem

beechsport
Aspirant

cm1000v2 how to mirror MAC address with existing ISP Modem

Have existing modem furnished by Spectrum and I want to run a new Netgear Modem CM1000v2 as well. Can I mimic the MAC address from the ISP modem with the new Netgear modem?  Basically, can I run two cable modems on one account? Current  wireless not giving me the speeds I need for my work. Paying for 400mps. Any tips greatly appreciated.

Model: CM1000-1AZNAS|Ultra-High Speed Cable Modem—DOCSIS® 3.1 Ready
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: cm1000v2 how to mirror MAC address with existing ISP Modem

Not sure how big your home is or what speeds you're needing. 
I'd just make sure to go the triband one's. The dual band are decent but the tribands have a dedicated wireless backhaul for faster speeds/lower latency. You can also hardwire the satellites in if you'd like. Helps performace as well. 

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies
plemans
Guru

No, you can't run 2 modems on 1 account. 

But upgrading a router might help you get the speeds you need. 

What router are you using? 

Message 2 of 8
beechsport
Aspirant

Thanks, was trying to save the $49/month payment

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

@beechsport wrote:

Thanks, was trying to save the $49/month payment

Not sure how adding a 2nd modem would save $49 unless you were trying to piggyback on someone else's account. 

Message 4 of 8
beechsport
Aspirant

Thanks for asking. I have a current account with Spectrum, full package, tv, internet, phone. I have need for a second cable modem in another part of the house. Leaving the Spectrum furnished modem in place, wanted to just tee in to the cable line and install a second modem. Spectrum saying that I cant do that, and will have to pay for an additional line/internet access at $50 additonal per month. Why can't the second modem mirror/mimic the mac address for the Spectrum modem?

Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

Because if they allowed that, all a person would have to do would be to clone the address and run as many modems on spectrums network as they wanted. You could add one at your neighbors, friends, family, etc. 

If you're needing better coverage, check into triband mesh systems like orbi. You have a router and then mutliple access points throughout the home. 

Message 6 of 8
beechsport
Aspirant

Any recomendations? Seems there are a bunch of them. 

Message 7 of 8
plemans
Guru

Not sure how big your home is or what speeds you're needing. 
I'd just make sure to go the triband one's. The dual band are decent but the tribands have a dedicated wireless backhaul for faster speeds/lower latency. You can also hardwire the satellites in if you'd like. Helps performace as well. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7