Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: eMail Alerts?

dishinit wrote:

I suspect the push for updated firmware has more to do with problems when enabling Guest Radio, disables all Primary radio functions on recently manufactured units, as well as the ongoing problems when enabling Traffic Meter &/or Media Server locking up the router over a short period of time.

Hi,

these sound like valid things that should be fixed. But by Netgear and not by an adhoc group of programmers! If Netgear does not do the fixes then only a very tiny number of users benefit.

Perhaps a set of better programmers is attempting to fix the problems created by incompetent persons who just happened to get their flawed software into almost all the routers in the world as every mfg.'s are using the same flawed free software.

I wrote my first program ~ 1967 and am constantly amazed by how poorly written software is today.

SHF
Message 101 of 125
Highlighted
Aspirant

Mars Mug wrote:
I’m not saying there isn’t stuff in the log that you might want to see, but it’s not exactly very configurable and you might be bombarded by lots of irrelevant messages. Other routers I have owned (and my current router) are configurable so that only specific types of message are sent in e-mails.

I agree, even the much maligned D-Link 655 had configurable filters for router logs.
By the way, I really appreciate your clear and informative posts in these threads.
Message 102 of 125
Highlighted
Virtuoso

dishinit wrote:
By the way, I really appreciate your clear and informative posts in these threads.

Thanks, it's a pity I can't help.
Message 103 of 125
Highlighted
Aspirant

Mars Mug wrote:
I’m not saying there isn’t stuff in the log that you might want to see, but it’s not exactly very configurable and you might be bombarded by lots of irrelevant messages. Other routers I have owned (and my current router) are configurable so that only specific types of message are sent in e-mails.

If those of us who think the eMail Alerts feature might be useful could actually get the option to work then perhaps we could also provide meaningful feedback to Netgear for improvement.

Anyone have an idea of when the next official firmware release is scheduled? And what is might include?
Message 104 of 125
Highlighted
Aspirant

rljames wrote:
...And what is might include?

Hi,

The known issues might give a clue:

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13091

SHF
Message 105 of 125
Highlighted
Aspirant

The known issues might give a clue:

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13091

I realize this forum is probably not host to an audience with answers but with this topic having 2300+ Views and over 100 Posts, I'll ask the obvious question anyway...

Why isn't the eMail Alerts problem listed under "Known Issues" for the next firmware release? Clearly there is interest and at least several people have taken the time to confirm the problem.
Message 106 of 125
Highlighted
Virtuoso

rljames wrote:
Why isn't the eMail Alerts problem listed under "Known Issues" for the next firmware release? Clearly there is interest and at least several people have taken the time to confirm the problem.

It would need Netgear engineers to investigate and/or accept that there is a problem for it to appear as ‘Known Issue’ and those engineers are only likely to respond to problems reported via Technical Support, they don’t actively monitor this forum.
Message 107 of 125
Highlighted
Aspirant

Mars Mug wrote:
It would need Netgear engineers to investigate and/or accept that there is a problem for it to appear as ‘Known Issue’ and those engineers are only likely to respond to problems reported via Technical Support, they don’t actively monitor this forum.

Second level Technical support needs many reports from many users having different ISP's for them to collect the required information.

This may need to include sensitive information and a desire of Second level Technical to put the reports together.

Perhaps the OP could reopen his Technical issue and tell us how to add our reports to it.

TS needs many reports from many ISP's that E-mail Alerts fail. I have my log ready to send.

SHF
Message 108 of 125
Highlighted
Aspirant

Actually, all Netgear Technical Support, and related Developers, for WNDR3700 need to do is talk to their counterparts within the Storage division. As I've reported here, and officially to Tech Support for that matter, the ReadyNAS product line sucessfully implements eMail Alerts without problem...
Message 109 of 125
Highlighted
Aspirant

I have formally reopened this issue with NetGear Technical Support (case number 12002214), referencing this discussion thread as evidence others are experiencing the problem and asked that the defect be added to the list of "Known Issues" pending for next firmware release.
Message 110 of 125
Highlighted
Virtuoso

rljames wrote:
I have formally reopened this issue with NetGear Technical Support (case number 12002214), referencing this discussion thread as evidence others are experiencing the problem and asked that the defect be added to the list of "Known Issues" pending for next firmware release.

That’s great. Without that kind of action people here are really just letting off steam since it’s unlikely in this case that a solution can come from this forum.
Message 111 of 125
Highlighted
Aspirant

To date, almost 3 weeks since opening the new Technical Support case I submitted regarding this issue, the only solution offered by Netgear is return of my WNDR3700 for replacement on the theory this problem is caused by defective hardware.

In spite of referencing this thread as proof that others are also experiencing similar problems, this is the same answer offered for my original February submission.

I'm not about to go through the hassle of returning my router just to prove Netgear wrong.

Perhaps it would be helpful if others opened additional support cases...
Message 112 of 125
Highlighted
Aspirant

I don't think it is faulty, I suspect you have just not got the correct info. I struggled for a while with this but now it is all good.

Why not post a screenshot of the email config page and let us see what you have put in, but remember to obscure the actual details of your email account.
Message 113 of 125
Highlighted
Aspirant

Microman,

Thanks for the reply. No disrespect but did you read this entire thread?

I only ask because I posted the fact that I also have a Netgear NAS which supports eMail Alerts and it works perfectly. I've configured my WNDR3700 *exactly* the same as the NAS.

To me at least this means a few things;

Thanks again.
Message 114 of 125
Highlighted
Aspirant

I think this is now working with my ISP's smtp server but I could not get it to work with gmail as the smtp. Apparently it doesn't support STARTTLS authentication. On a related note, why doesn't the web interface support HTTPS? I'm detecting a general lack of secure protocol support. Perhaps your ISP is requiring STARTTLS?
Message 115 of 125
Highlighted
Aspirant

For those of you following and interested in this thread I finally received this eMail from NetGear 2nd Level Technical Support;

Just an update. I was able to replicate the same exact problem you are getting. Whenever I try to send the WNDR3700 logs it fails and says "must issue STARTTLS". I am still on the process of researching for this and I will give you an update again as soon as I come up with something.

(Incidentally, In my situation at least, I don't believe any of the WNDR3700 logs I looked at while trying to solve this problem included the above "must issue STARTTLS" message.)
Message 116 of 125
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Perhaps the person is using a diagnostic version, though it would be interesting to know how they determined that they had re-created the exact same issue.
Message 117 of 125
Highlighted
Novice

THis Email stuff is also not working for me... I tried 4 mail services (web.de,gmx.net,lavabit.com,googlemail.com) and none of them is working... the log is either saying, after pressing "send" at Log page:

[email failed] SMTPclient: unexpected reply: 550 This user account is not authorized to send messages with the address lxxxxx@la .

Or its saying:

[email failed] SMTPclient: unexpected reply: 550 5.7.0 Sender address does not belong to logged in user {mp009}^M, Wednesday, A

Man... thats a really messed up feature.. Not working at all for me... But with these settings I am able to send Email directly from Thunderbird...

Really Sad!
Message 118 of 125
Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: eMail Alerts? FIXED!!!

Hi,

I just upgraded to NetGear WNDR3700:

New Firmware Version: V1.0.7.98NA
New GUI Language Version: V1.0.0.64

I tried the e-Mail which was NOT working for me before, and it WORKED. Smiley Happy

Thanks's NetGear.

SHF
Message 119 of 125
Highlighted
Novice

it works fine with me

Hardware Version WNDR3700
Firmware Version V1.0.7.98
GUI Language Version V1.0.0.64

Message 120 of 125
Highlighted
Guide

My isp too (now ran by google) has put it into the spam box before. It doesnt go there now (change on their end I guess).. If I try to read it online I still get a warning box that it might not be real. I think it's just because to: and from: are the same.

I could never get secure connections to work, but isp servers (un-secured) worked just fine.

I would like to add support for the logs to show the SMTP errors!

____ __ _ _____ ____ _ _ _
/ ___|| \/ |_ _| _ \___| (_) ___ _ __ | |_
\___ \| |\/| || | | |_)/ __| | |/ _ \ '_ \| __|
___) | | | || | | _| (__| | | __/ | | | |_
|____/|_| |_||_| |_| \___|_|_|\___|_| |_|\__|

SMTPclient -- simple SMTP client

This program is a minimal SMTP client that takes an email
message body and passes it on to a SMTP server (default is the
MTA on the local host). Since it is completely self-supporting,
it is especially suitable for use in restricted environments.

Version 1.0.0 (22-10-1997)

The latest release can be found on
http://www.engelschall.com/sw/smtpclient/

Copyright (c) 1997 Ralf S. Engelschall, All rights reserved.

Look at the file LICENSE for detailed license information.

The client could be updated ;P
Message 121 of 125
Highlighted
Aspirant

decypher01 wrote:
it works fine with me

Hardware Version WNDR3700
Firmware Version V1.0.7.98
GUI Language Version V1.0.0.64

I went and created an AOL account for email. Set this up, and it still says failed:

[email failed] , Tuesday, June 21,2011 01:09:58
[email sent to: XXXXXXXXX@aol.com] Tuesday, June 21,2011 01:09:58
Message 122 of 125
Highlighted
Aspirant

JTX99 wrote:
I went and created an AOL account for email. Set this up, and it still says failed:

[email failed] , Tuesday, June 21,2011 01:09:58
[email sent to: XXXXXXXXX@aol.com] Tuesday, June 21,2011 01:09:58

Hi,

If you read the entire thread you will see several different failure types.

I sent a PM to the OP who got Netgear's attention but he has not replied.

All that I can say is that it started working for me, but then I immediately turned it off like I said I would.

SHF
Message 123 of 125
Highlighted
Aspirant

SFischer1 wrote:
Hi,

If you read the entire thread you will see several different failure types.

I sent a PM to the OP who got Netgear's attention but he has not replied.

All that I can say is that it started working for me, but then I immediately turned it off like I said I would.

SHF

Yeah I Read most of it.
Message 124 of 125
Highlighted
Aspirant

I had most of the same problems as many of the posts in this forum. My ISP requires authentication. I have a webserver on the LAN that is running sendmail but it cannot send to addresses outside the LAN becuase port 25 is blocked by ISP. I got around the issue by using the local webserver for smtp and sending the logs to a LAN email address - A user account on the webserver.localdomain.

Now I can easily access the logs with my email client on my desktop.
Message 125 of 125
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements