× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

expected NAS write speeds over home wifi, mine are very low

eddy291
Aspirant

expected NAS write speeds over home wifi, mine are very low

Can anyone help with low write transfer speeds to a new RN214 with 2x4Tb drives, just installed.  It is connected via ethernet to a satellite disk of a BT Whole Home premier 3 disk wifi set up like this:

the PC  > wifi to BT Whole Home disk no 3 good signal > wifi to master disk no 1 good signal  (which is connected via ethernet to a BT home hub2 with its own wifi off and direct external fibre connection) > wifi connection to satellite disk no 2 signal shows good at -66 > via ethernet to the NAS

The broadband speed overall to external internet via wifi from disk 2 where the NAS is connected is download 50MB and upload about 10 using my phone connected via wifi.  However, file transfer from a PC on the network runs at about 2 or 3 MB/s (based on Win10 file explorer speed) and often sinks to 1 or even 0.5.  Even if it manages 4 for a bit it quickly falls, and after a few hours it drops suddenly to around 1 .  The NAS was set up using the phone app and all seems well.  The wifi is 5GHz and the home hub wifi is switched off so there is only one mesh wifi network from the Whole Home set up.  (this has potentially over 1500 MB/s speed).  Where do I start to look to increase the speed, It is taking over a day to save 190GB to the NAS.  I cannot really connect the NAS direct to the PC, I need it to run via wifi.  What speed should I expect.  Is this it?

Secondary question:  If I connect a second NAS to the second ethernet port on satellite disk no 2 (both NAS to same disk) can I expect higher speeds from one NAS to another - do the packets travel direct at NAS/ethernet speeds.  If  so this isnt workign either. I only get the same slow speed from one NAS to the other (the second one is an old NV+) as I do from teh PC over Wifi.

I am a bit computer literate but not network savvy, I have read many threads but cannot understand a lot of the suggestions, though I can follow them if I am confident thay are the best approach. 

thanks all, Eddy

Model: RN214D42|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (4x 2TB Desktop)
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions

Re: expected NAS write speeds over home wifi, mine are very low

You might get better and quicker replies, and find other answers, over in the appropriate section for your device. That's probably here:

ReadyNAS Network Storage: Official NETGEAR Community

This place is for General WiFi Routers (Non-Nighthawk), very different beasts.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
eddy291
Aspirant

More info:

Sorry I should add I have Trend micro security agent running and this is managed by my employer and I do nto have rights to alter it but I see no CPU activity for this in Task manager and I see no evidence of it scanning the files being copied.  

I also realise that win explorer showing 4MB/s is megabytes, the figures I quoted for speed were from there.  When I look in task manager it shows network activity going up and down from 0 to a max of 4% over periods of about 10 seconds, the speed shown rises up to about 12 or 15 Mbits/sec and falls back down to zero for several seconds.  After all night of copying it is now running at less than 1 MBytes/sec, often less than half that. Eddy

Message 2 of 4

You might get better and quicker replies, and find other answers, over in the appropriate section for your device. That's probably here:

ReadyNAS Network Storage: Official NETGEAR Community

This place is for General WiFi Routers (Non-Nighthawk), very different beasts.

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements