extending an access point

dbuhl
Aspirant

extending an access point

My house is long and thin, so i placed the wireless router near the center.  On one end I put in a netgear 300 wireless extender and it works fine.  On the other end i wanted more coverage and had hard wire available, so I installed a netgear ac1200 as an access point and it works great.  however, now i need to extend that access point someway so that I can monitor my electric meter witha device from the utility. The devide needs an ethernet cable.  I have another 300 available, but i do not seem able to get it to extend off of the access point.  I also have a 2500RPT available, but cant get it to extend off the access point either.  Any suggestions?

Message 1 of 5

Re: extending an access point

If there is a nearby mains socket, cheap powerline to the meter from the nearest access point and another powerline plug.

Unless someone can tell you how to get the 2500RPT to work.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 5
dbuhl
Aspirant

Sorry michael, but you blew right past my knowledge level with your reply.

My access point is working fine, I need to know if I can put a wireless extender of that access point.  If so, then i can use the ethernet port on the extender to plug into the device from the utility close to the meter.

Message 3 of 5
Retired_Member
Not applicable

He's referring to powerline adapters.

http://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/powerline/

Message 4 of 5

@searay wrote:

He's referring to powerline adapters.

http://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/powerline/

Yes. Apologies for being lazy and not providing links.

My argument is that if the idea is to connect just one static device to the wifi extender, and there is no other stuff that needs to connect to the network, it could be much easier to buy a pair of powerline plugs. Connect one to a LAN socket on the wifi extender, or, preferably, put the plug on the main modem, then put a second plug near to the electricity meter and connect the LAN to the meter.

This has several advantages, mostly it means that you don't have to flood the place with too many competing wifi signals. And if you put the first plug next to the modem

The disadvantage is that you need to buy the plugs, but you can go for the cheapest available because you don't need speed. But as no none has come along to explain how to add the 2500RPT to the network, it may be a bridge too far.

People seem to be reluctant to even consider powerline plugs, perhaps because they are still relatively new for a generation brought up on wifi. But I have found them to be much better than sending wifi around the house.

Once you start using powerline plugs you may well become addicted. In my experience they are the best way to connect fixed equipment – I have a smart BluRay player and an Internet radio – to the Internet. Wifi is for things that move around not things that sit still and never move.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E