× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

firmware update

corvairbob
Tutor

firmware update

i get an email that tells me i have a firmware update and so i connected this router up to see if the update would let me use this router with my c3700 combo and it dosen't do the update. the router says itis up to date. hard to believe it is when it has been off line for months and i got this email the other day. i tried to find it to download it and then upload it for my end but i have no idea where to look to get the download.

this is the firmware it says it has now maybe it is the latest? 

Firmware Version 
V1.0.2.80_1.0.59

what i'm trying to do is get this router connected so i can use this and not the c3700 router part of the combo. it seems my devices want to go back and forth between either router and that gives my phone and tablet fits when i'm viewing my cameras. so i was hopeing the update may fit that. thanks

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
corvairbob
Tutor

Re: firmware update

thanks that must be it. i was talking about the r6300 router not the modem combo. so it them is up to date. but the issues it is giving me now means i will be just turning it off. it seems all my devices are still connected to the c3700 and 1 to the r6300 but my tablet showing my cameras now drops the video feed all the time. i connected it back up to see if it had an update coming it may stop this but it has not. so i will jsut get another combo unit and then not have to worry about my devices switching back and forth. thanks

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 6

All Replies
plemans
Guru

which router are you attempting to update? The C3700 is a modem/router combo and the firmware comes from the ISP not from the owner. so you must be talking a different device. 

You might have gotten the email stating to upgrade the firmware but over the last month there was a bunch sent out that already had up to date firmwares.  They're a good reminder but don't necessarily mean you weren't already on the latest firmware. 

Message 2 of 6
corvairbob
Tutor

thanks that must be it. i was talking about the r6300 router not the modem combo. so it them is up to date. but the issues it is giving me now means i will be just turning it off. it seems all my devices are still connected to the c3700 and 1 to the r6300 but my tablet showing my cameras now drops the video feed all the time. i connected it back up to see if it had an update coming it may stop this but it has not. so i will jsut get another combo unit and then not have to worry about my devices switching back and forth. thanks

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

Make sure your r6300 is in AP mode.
https://kb.netgear.com/20927/How-do-I-change-my-NETGEAR-router-to-AP-mode-after-I-ve-already-run-set...

And then name the wireless names different than the c3700. Should prevent the switching around between the 2.
Message 4 of 6
corvairbob
Tutor

thanks i will  check out that link. i'm not sure aobut the names one is netgear92 and one is netgear07 that is about all i know about naming them. and of course they have different passcodes. i did  change the admin passcode on both of them

so i went to that link and in advance and wireless i do not see an ap box to check on the r6300 router or the c3700 combo unit. i used the netgear genie to configure the r6300 to my system i figured that would take care of all the necessary settings.

update i found the ap check box i had to check another box to get that ap to show. then i checked it and now i can't log into that router. my phone says it is now disabled. so what is going on now? i guess i now have to factory reset it.

thanks

Message 5 of 6
corvairbob
Tutor

thanks for the help i did what was suggested and it locked the router out. so i took it offline and now it is going on ebay for parts. i had a it guy over and he could not get it to work either. he does this for a living at a large company so i figure if he can't keep it online it is junk.

also some have said it is not quite the unit to do this with. so my next step is to just get a combo unit and never worry about the setup again. i'm done with connecting routers to modems anymore i will get a combo unit and be done with it. t hanks for the help. it is going to ebay for part now. thanks bp.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7