× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

firmware version discrepancies

bbbbbobber
Aspirant

firmware version discrepancies

I'm logged on to the router, preparing to set up a VPN soon, and went to Advanced and the only version I can find is for Cable Information. It shows a version of V1.01.26. I'm hoping to get the router upgraded properly and yet the versions that show as available (and past versions) have a different format; i.e. the most recent version available shows as '1.1.0.80'. Version 26 doesn't appear anywhere in past versions so I'm not sure I'm in the right place.Questions: 1) How can I set this up so that new versions upgrade automatically, if possible? and 2) Once I have resolved the version naming problem, must I upgrade all intermediate versions between what I have and with version 80?

Model: R6220v2|AC1200 Smart WiFi Router with External Antennas
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions

Re: firmware version discrepancies

@bbbbbobber wrote:

so the R6220 that I have is both a modem and a router.

In that case, it is not a R6220.

R = Router

C = Cable modem/router

D = DSL modem/router

You have a C6220

There is support for this device at the end of this link:

>>>C6220 | Product | Support | NETGEAR<<<

You can ignore the firmware on this device. It is beyond your control.

The 1.1.0.80 is for the R6220.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 9

All Replies

@bbbbbobber wrote:

How can I set this up so that new versions upgrade automatically, if possible?

Not all routers support that.

I would point you at the support pages for your device, but I can see n o sign of the R6220v2. It may be a new version of the older R6220:

>>> R6220 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<

That shows the latest firmware as Firmware Version 1.1.0.80, but that probably will not work on the  R6220v2. Firmware does not transfer between firmware variants.

I have no idea where the V1.01.26, it is the wrong format for Netgear firmware. But what is this "cable information"?

Message 2 of 9
schumaku
Guru

"Cable Information" does lead more to a Cable Modem/Router (Cxxxx) model.

Message 3 of 9
bbbbbobber
Aspirant

Thanks for your help - it appears that I'm looking in the wrong place.

'Cable Information' is one of the four boxes that appear after I have logged in at routerlogin.com with 'admin' and my router's password.. Then I change from the 'Basic' tab to the 'Advanced' tab and a window of four boxes shows. They are identified left-to-right and top-to-bottom as 

Cable Information                          Internet Port

Wireless Settings (2.4GHZ)           Wireless Settings (5GHZ).

Within the Cable Information box, it shows:

Hardware Version 1.04

Firmware Version V1.01.26

Cable Modem Serial

Number

etc.

Model: R6220|AC1200 Smart WiFi Router with External Antennas
Message 4 of 9

What is the modem in front of this router?

My guess is that you have logged into that.

If so, you may need to adjust your network settings so that you don't have two routers on the same local network..

Message 5 of 9
bbbbbobber
Aspirant

Thanks again for your help. I have a solitary device for my internet connection. It's totally wireless (no firewire) to my desktop, my laptop and my iPhone. The user manual identifies it as AC1200 WiFi Cable Modem Router Model C6220. The version # appears in two places in Network Genie's display, once inside the Cable Information box, and again in the upper right corner of the display just beneath the 'LOGOUT' purple button it reads

Firmware Version

V1.01.26

I may have erred when I identified my R6220 as V2, I cannot find that anywhere in my documentation.

Message 6 of 9
schumaku
Guru

Your device is a C6220 (a cable modem Internet <-> Ethernet/WiFi Router), not a R6220 (an Ethernet Internet <-> Ethernet/WiFi router)

C6220 – DOCSIS 3.0 High Speed WiFi Cable Modem Router - Downloads does show this:

"

• Firmware upgrades are pushed down by your ISP. For more information, please see our Knowledge Base .

"

Message 7 of 9

@bbbbbobber wrote:

In that case, it is not a R6220.

R = Router

C = Cable modem/router

D = DSL modem/router

You have a C6220

There is support for this device at the end of this link:

>>>C6220 | Product | Support | NETGEAR<<<

You can ignore the firmware on this device. It is beyond your control.

The 1.1.0.80 is for the R6220.

Message 8 of 9
bbbbbobber
Aspirant

Thanks very much for your support. I just got to the same place. My bad for mis-identifying the model. It turns out that the ISP ships these down when necessary. It's just very challenging (obviously) to learn that when you're using the wrong model number. I'm straight now-thanks again and keep up your great support.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7