× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

how can I watch my media content from the hard disk attached in the router to my smart tv

sajib_siddiquei
Follower

how can I watch my media content from the hard disk attached in the router to my smart tv

i have a netgear n600 router (WNDR3400) in which i have connected a portable hard disk. now I would like to access the hard disk from my samsung j5500? is there any way for it? i want to access it directly without any pc.

please help 🙂

Model: WNDR3400v3|N600 Wireless Dual Band Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Re: how can I watch my media content from the hard disk attached in the router to my smart tv

It looks like your Samsung can stream from a DLNA server.  Unfortunately, the WNDR3400 doesn't support DLNA.  Some of the newer Netgear routers do.

Try connecting the hard disk directly to the TV's USB port.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

Re: how can I watch my media content from the hard disk attached in the router to my smart tv

It looks like your Samsung can stream from a DLNA server.  Unfortunately, the WNDR3400 doesn't support DLNA.  Some of the newer Netgear routers do.

Message 2 of 7

@TheEther wrote:

That's the best way to do it. Even if your router supports DLNA it can be a pig to configure on a TV. And USB will always be faster, especially if your TV uses wifi anywhere in the chain.

Message 3 of 7
TheEther
Guru

USB is best for streaming to the TV but it'll be a pain to move the hard disk back and forth between the TV and a PC in order to put more movies onto it.  The next best thing is to get real NAS with a built-in DLNA server.

Message 4 of 7

@TheEther wrote:

USB is best for streaming to the TV but it'll be a pain to move the hard disk back and forth between the TV and a PC in order to put more movies onto it. 

Depends on how often you need to move the USB drive, and if you are prepared to pay >£100 to buy an empty NAS enclosure. Add another £100 or so for drives and that would buy plenty of USB space.

Message 5 of 7
StephenB
Guru

While a ReadyNAS isn't the cheapest solution, I find it much better than shuffling USB drives.  

If you pick a platform capable of transcoding, then the NAS can also help with media compatibility (allowing you to play DTS audio w/o an AV receiver turned on, etc).

Message 6 of 7
William10a
Master

And faster since a nas drive can use the whole 1gb pipe were a usb drive may be limit by the model and which usb standard you are using.

The slowest sata hard drive sata 1 can do 1.5 gb the newest standard of sata can do 6gb give or take a little depending the drive and processing power of the nas.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7