× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

how slow is wireless vs wired connection

mulawdaog
Aspirant

how slow is wireless vs wired connection

I have noticed I have slower wireless internet at my small business.  A wired internet connection speed test shows 80mbps download and 12mbps upload.  All wirelss connections show 6-8mbps download.  How much slower is wirelss vs wired supposed to be?  Also, how do I run a diagnostic on my wireless to make sure operating as intended? Thanks. 

Model: R6120|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: how slow is wireless vs wired connection

What speeds do you pay for? 

The R6120 is a base model AC router. it only has 10/100mbps ports. If you're paying for >100mbps speeds, it won't hit those because its not gigabit. 

So you're hitting full speeds wireless. 

Are you speedtesting over the 2.4ghz or using the 5ghz?

2.4ghz is more sensitive to interference and if its a small business, I'm assuming (falsely maybe) that its around other businesses. so it'd have even more interference. 

What speeds do you get over 5ghz?

What device are you testing on? 

What modem do you have?

(again) Speeds you pay for? 

Message 2 of 4
mulawdaog
Aspirant

We just upgraded to a Comcast 200mbps download plan.  This morning, using google speed test, I am getting closer to 80mbps download speeds.  So, compared to yesterday, it is much faster wireless.  The test i just ran was on 5g.  The modem is a Cisco modem provided by Comcast.  I see a serial number but not a visiible model name/number. It was just installed a couple weeks ago by Comcast.  I ran the wireless test using my Mac Air, OS 11.1, Safari v 14.0.2.  Thanks for responding.  

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

If your plan is 200mbps, a router upgrade would be needed to hit full speeds. Otherwise you're looking at max of 90-95mbps over when hardwired and just short of that wireless. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7