how to re flash the firmware on the c3700 100nas combo

corvairbob
Tutor

how to re flash the firmware on the c3700 100nas combo

i have been having tizzy fits with my modem. i'm getting tons of this site is not safe warnings, and have asked here about how to get this figured out. i'm almost sure it is the modem becasue if i use the phone as my hotspot i do not get 1 error ever. and even if i use my phone to get onlie using the modem i get this site is not safe. 

i have another modem on the way but i wonder if a reflash will fix this one in the meantime?  i can click on a bookmark and sometimes i get this site is not safe, and then thenext time it goes thru. or i can even leave that tab up with this site is not safe and in a few minutes it will just go to the site.

i even have google bookmarked and if i click the bookmark or even type google and enter half the time i get this site is not safe. come on now it is google's site i can't believe that site s not safe.  most of the time while trouble shooting this issue if i click on the will myphone work web site it comes up this site not safe. then if i type it it may go or it may not go. and then if i click the book mark it may go or it may not go.  

so i'm leaning on the modem may have some kind of corruption in it. this all started last week when i had a power outage and i was running the generator. the power to the modem came back with the generator and ran ok, the next day i was testing the breakers for a generator safety lockout and i turned off the modem a few times getting a template made for fabbing up the safety blocking device and then all of a suddn the modem is giving me fits. so it may have got spiked. 

so i'm thinkin g if i do a reflash that may fix the issue.  another thing that leads me the modem is my phone or tablets have a time getting to the internet and it comes up telling me to go to the logon page for xfinity. then when i do it tells me to call xfinity becasue xfinity does not see the modem. but it is online.    anyone have a link for re flashing the c3700 100nas combo unit? thanks

Message 1 of 14
plemans
Guru

Re: how to re flash the firmware on the c3700 100nas combo

The C3700 is a modem/router combo device. You can't reflash them. The ISP can but not a home user.

do you have a screen snip of your modem connections page? 

Potentially we can take a look at your incoming/outgoing signal and see if there's issues.

You can also do a hard factory reset. That clears out settings (in case some setting was corrupt). Push and hold reset with it powered on. it should be 7-15 seconds but the lights will flash/change when you've held it long enough. 

You can also get your isp to re-partition it. they can resend the file. 

Current Setup: CM2000-> SXK30-> GS716v2-> Arris W31 x2-> Pi-hole->
Message 2 of 14
corvairbob
Tutor

thanks i can send that snip but ihave reset it so may times now the ive worn the reset button out. it shows ver. 2.02.22   it is real iffy now and i'm not into resetting it anymore the i have to now as it take more than an hour now to come back up online. i have had comcast sending it resets as well. i took a snip of the basic page cable connections. if wrong then inform me of what page your asking for.

i did some looking and i do see where this is not an opetion to reflash it anymore. so i got me a c7000 in the mail now and will see if it connects to comcast when i get it next week.  but take a look at the file i uploaded and see if it look good to you.

thanks

Message 3 of 14
plemans
Guru

The modem connections page. Should be under the basic tab. Then click internet/modem tab. not sure what its called right now as I'm not running a combo device. I attached a snip of someone elses from a c7000 for example. 

Message 4 of 14
plemans
Guru

you are getting a lot of timeouts. Any splitters, amplifiers, attenuators in line? if so, remove them. Also check for extended coax runs, loose connections, bad/cheap connections, bend coax cable, damaged cables, etc. 

Message 5 of 14
corvairbob
Tutor

ok that is the same page i sent to you. so did you see it? and if so what do you think? thanks

Message 6 of 14
plemans
Guru

You sent the logs. I want the modem connections page that shows your incoming/outgoing coax line strengths. Put the 2 side by side on your screen. They're different

Message 7 of 14
corvairbob
Tutor

ok you did get the wrong one. i had it saved and as i move the mouse to change the name it picked a different snip. so lets see if this is the correct one.

Message 8 of 14
plemans
Guru

Your incoming signal levels look pretty good. usually you get more locked channels with the upstream. You're showing 3 with set frequency's but only 1 locked. And with your logs showing repeated upstream t3 errors it could either be something was wrecked with what happened or the line has issues preventing the other 2 from locking. You'll know when you hook up the C7000. If you get the same errors on the upstream with the C7000, then its a line issue. 

Message 9 of 14
corvairbob
Tutor

i have one cable line from the pole to the ground lug and then on to the family room to a splitter the cable people put in.  so one cable goes down to my modem about 5' and the other cable continues on to the cable box. 

what your seeing are my cameras.  for some reason the modem is trying to connect to them. i have all my cameras on the network going thru a network switch but the ports your seeing are not the ports the cameras are using. and i do not have a clue how to run that off.  

i did get that file posted/. thanks

Message 10 of 14
plemans
Guru

The T3 timeouts are the connection back to the CMTS. its not your cameras. Combine the T3 errors and the only 1 locked upsteam channel  and something there is causing the issue. Again its either the power flucations toasted it or the lines got issues. 

Message 11 of 14
corvairbob
Tutor

thanks i agree.  that is why i got the c7000 in the mail because that is a newer model it should fix the issues, but like i told the comcast tech's if the new modem still has these issues i want them to replace the box on the cable line up on the pole. one tech tols me last year  that, that box had bad taps. and he had a time getting one to work. but he could not just fix it. so i told the the person helpng me online and sending all those reset that after i get tha new modem if the issue continues i want the service people out here and i want that box replaced.

last year they kept putting some kind of block on my internet because they told me i was transmitting some kind of signal. so the teck came in and changed out all the ends on the cable line. it was not my tv's as i have only 1 tv on the cable. and the rest on antenna. so he was thinking it was my cameras. i have 12 of them. they were all on wifi so i turned of the wifi and connected them all via cat5 to a network switch and then to the modem. things reas great until last week when we had that outage and i was messing with the breakers setting up a safety gate so if i have to use the generator i have to turn off the main before i can turn on the generator breaker, for lineman safety.

anyway i had to turn off the breaker to the modem, i did not know ti was to the modme then and i think by turning of the power 2 or 3 times in a quick row it mayhave spiked the modem. becasue after that i had a time getting back online. i spent tuesday all day reconnecting modem to the cable trying to get one to work. then finally i got this one to go but only after i reset if a dozen times and comcast reset it a dozen times. they told me they saw it intermitinly the whole time we were working on it. and now it is taking an hour to get back online.

so that is why i got the c7000 in the mail. the techs told me the c3700 is a real old unit and just about at the end of the life cycle for them. i have had it for at least 20 years.  

thanks

Message 12 of 14
plemans
Guru

The C3700 was released in 2017 so I'm doubting 20 years a little bit Smiley Happy. maybe you meant 2 years.

I'd be betting on the box or the line being the issue because whenever the upload is the problem, the techs/phone support has a tough time seeing the device. Especially with the prior issues you've reported. We'll see when the new one comes though. 

Message 13 of 14
corvairbob
Tutor

i have had this bos for years. we have had calbe here for over twenty years. at first we had cable and a phone cable box but they could not keep that running and it was real sow so we switched over to comcast. and when i did i got that box from best buy. and it was way before 2017 the wife is telling me the same thing. we got that box at least before 2008 and i'm leaning more towards 2003.   but it makes no difference i guess. that is the only cablebox i have. i have a modem only i got from a yard sale but neverused it.  thanks

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements