× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: iPad: Unable to Connect wireless

madge59
Tutor

iPad: Unable to Connect wireless

I have been unable to connect to the internet since Sun. evening.  We have Comcast as our internet provider.  I only use the wireless for my iPad.  In the past, I was able to turn the router off and on to get the dropped connection to re-start.  However, that is no longer working.  On my iPad, the wi-fi showes NETGEAR09, but it will not connect to the internet.

We have changed nothing with our desktop or internet provider.  All the lights are lit on the router.  We did not lose power over the weekend. 

Any suggestions? 

By the way, I don't know anything about computers, so go easy on me.  Thanks!

Model: WNR1000v3|N150 Wireless Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
madge59
Tutor

Thank you for helping me out with this problem.  I decided to go to the Apple website and check out possible solutions even though I was able to connect my iPad to the wifi at work.  They recommended doing a Network Reset on my iPad which I did.  After that, I had no problem connecting to my router and to the internet.  Not sure why, but it worked!

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies

Is the Internet LED lit up on the front?  Are all those lights green?

Can anything connect to the Internet? It seems not.

What happens when you try to connect?

Maybe the iPad needs a bit of tweaking. Sometimes it helps to tell it to forget a wifi connection and then to reconnect and fill in the appropriate password.

Message 2 of 7
madge59
Tutor

All the lights on the router on showing green except one that is blue.  I'm not sure which one is the Internet LED.  My ipad finally connected to Netgear, but I could not access the internet.  Our PC is fine on the internet.  I checked the program installed on the PC.  It is all good except the Wifi Connection box.  It says the status is Not Enabled.  When I click on the box, it says, "Can not scan the wireless networks.  Make sure your wireless adapter is turned on and is not disabled."  I have no idea what that means.  I then clicked on the tab that says WiFi Channel and it says, "This function is only available when your PC wireless adapter is enabled."  Again, I am clueless.  I do not know what a PC wireless adapter is or how to enable it.

I tried the suggestion of forgetting the network and then "re-finding" it, but that didn't work either.  I took my iPad to work and was able to access our wifi at work, so I don't think it is the iPad.

Thanks in advance for anymore suggestions.

Message 3 of 7

@madge59 wrote:

All the lights on the router on showing green except one that is blue.

That means it is working as designed.

You can see what the lights mean from Figure 1 on page 2 of the Setup Manual:

WNR1000v3_SM_24SEPT2010.pdf

@madge59 wrote:

I checked the program installed on the PC.  It is all good except the Wifi Connection box.  It says the status is Not Enabled.  When I click on the box, it says, "Can not scan the wireless networks.  Make sure your wireless adapter is turned on and is not disabled."

It means that your PC doesn't have a wifi adapter, or you haven't turned it on. Not many desktop PCs come with wifi. The makers expected you to use a wired connection.

I agree that the iPad isn't likely to be the problem. But it was worth checking it.

Telling the iPad to forget the router is designed to remove the login information, just in case they have changed. So it would forget the password that goes with the network's SSID. (That's the NETGEAR09 that you see, something that you might like to change to a more useful name that  no one else will use. That's a Netgear default that you may see all over the place.) Does the iPad ask for a password when you try to login to NETGEAR09?

It is likely that the wifi settings on the router need tweaking. If you look at the Setup Manual (see above), there is a section Troubleshooting Login Problems.

It seems that Apple – in its usual 'we know better than anyone else' mindset – does not allow you to use WPS (see page 22) to make a wifi connection.

Message 4 of 7
madge59
Tutor

michaelkenward wrote:

Does the iPad ask for a password when you try to login to NETGEAR09?

No, it doesn't ask for a password. 

michaelkenward wrote:

It is likely that the wifi settings on the router need tweaking.

I read through the manual on troubleshooting, but a lot of it goes over my head.  I'm not sure what I am looking for when you say the wifi settings on the router need tweaking. 

Would it help to re-set the router back to the factory settings and start over? 

Message 5 of 7
madge59
Tutor

Thank you for helping me out with this problem.  I decided to go to the Apple website and check out possible solutions even though I was able to connect my iPad to the wifi at work.  They recommended doing a Network Reset on my iPad which I did.  After that, I had no problem connecting to my router and to the internet.  Not sure why, but it worked!

Message 6 of 7

So it was the iPad after all. Why am I not surprised?

Glad it worked out in the end.

Good that you marked your findings as a solution so that other people can benefit. I bet you aren't the only iPad owner to hit this one.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7