Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Top Contributors
Novice

iPad gets multiple invalid IP addresses from WNDR4300

Why does my iPad grab multiple IP addresses from my router WNDR4300? And why are 2 of the addresses outside the subnet that the router is configured to allocate?

I'm using 255.255.255.0 for the mask and a range of 192.168.0.2 - 192.168.0.250.

The iPad is running iOS8

Here is a screen snapshot:

Thanks,
-- Art Z.
Message 1 of 19
Highlighted
Apprentice

Re: iPad gets multiple invalid IP addresses from WNDR4300

azemon,

Wow thats super strange. I think the DHCP configurations my be messed up. Try this, assigning a static IP address to the device and see if that helps.

Also check the DHCP settings, it shouldn't be assigning IP address to a subnet network its not part of. Your going to need to log into your router for that.
Message 2 of 19
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Is it possible that you have more than one DHCP server on you LAN?

What does the router log show shortly after the IPad has made a connection? Can you post it here please?

Have you tried setting a static IP in the IPad settings?
Message 3 of 19
Highlighted
Mentor

I want to ask a different question, or maybe, the same question differently ... Your router is not setup to issue addresses outside of the 192.168.0.x range - where does your iPad get the others from?

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day
Teach a man to fish, feed him for life.
Message 4 of 19
Highlighted
Aspirant

I had the same exact problem after installing a firmware update. I had this feeling that I was being hacked and someone was spoofing my devices, but I found that that that was not the case.

Take a look here:

http://forum1.netgear.com/showpost.php?p=480749&postcount=25

After flashing the new firmware (make sure you do it over an Ethernet cable not over the air), the problem went away.
Message 5 of 19
Highlighted
Novice

meanhacker, Ah thank you. Knowing that it is a firmware bug is sufficient for me. I'll just reboot the router every few weeks. Maybe someday Netgear will fix it in a US firmware release. BTW, it looks like the official 1.0.1.64 PR RU version is available from http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23606/related/1 instead of from Dropbox. -- Art Z.
Message 6 of 19
Highlighted
Novice

Mars Mug wrote:
Is it possible that you have more than one DHCP server on you LAN?

What does the router log show shortly after the IPad has made a connection? Can you post it here please?

Have you tried setting a static IP in the IPad settings?

Mars Mug,

No, I only have one router on the network. The WNDR4300 is the only DHCP server and the only router.

I will run a careful set of tests tomorrow and post the results.

-- Art Z.
Message 7 of 19
Highlighted
Apprentice

azemon wrote:

Maybe someday Netgear will fix it in a US firmware release.

They won't know unless you contact them and report it. I would recommend contacting them. e mail them and ask them to look into it

http://support.netgear.com/general/contact/default.aspx#tab-email
Message 8 of 19
Highlighted
Novice

This time, one of the Android devices has two IP addresses. It has both 192.168.0.13 (which is valid for my router) and 10.163.97.67 (which is not valid).

-- Art Z.
Message 9 of 19
Highlighted
Mentor

Just out of curiosity - do all the devices that are displaying this phenomenon have multiple internet connections? For example - I believe an iPad could have WiFi, Bluetooth, and WWAN (wireless wide area network) connections, and the same goes for many Android devices - this would not explain why the multiple ip addresses are being displayed (although I do have a theory on that, which I will put forward once it is confirmed that this is the case), it could explain the origin of the multiple ip addresses - I do believe that many of the telephone companies are using 10.x.x.x addresses on their data plans (mine does). If/once you confirm the devices in question do have multiple interfaces, perhaps you could check if the ip addresses match.

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day
Teach a man to fish, feed him for life.
Message 10 of 19
Highlighted
Novice

fordem wrote:
Just out of curiosity - do all the devices that are displaying this phenomenon have multiple internet connections?

The iPads are WiFi only, so only one connection. The Android devices are phones so they have WiFi and cell phone connections.

I am beginning to suspect that the devices get a second address when they are taken out of the house, connected to another WiFi network, and then brought home again. I need to test this theory.

-- Art Z.
Message 11 of 19
Highlighted
Aspirant

I am having the exact same issue. All different devices (laptop, iPad, Android). I just purchased this router new yesterday. Went to look at connected devices and they are showing up twice with an unknown name and an ip outside of my range. Showing the same mac address. Updated the firmware as soon as the router powered up and just noticed this last night. Rebooting doesn't help.

My attached devices:

Any ideas??
Message 12 of 19
Highlighted
Aspirant

BUMP... Still nothing on this? It is still occuring at times and shouldn't be. Have had the latest firmware since purchase and update(1.0.1.60). IP's are outside my range...
Message 13 of 19
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Have you tried resetting the router after the firmware update? Use the Desktop Genie if the same IP address appears under Network Map.
Message 14 of 19
Highlighted
Aspirant

minions08 wrote:
Have you tried resetting the router after the firmware update? Use the Desktop Genie if the same IP address appears under Network Map.

Yes. I got the router a little over a month ago. After unboxing and setting it up the first thing I did was a firmware update which it took. I have since reset, reboot, etc... countless times to no avail. Genie app does nothing. I even have reserved addresses and access control turned on for all my devices and those "unknown" ip addresses still show up with the mac address of another device I have. I don't even know how the router is assigning addresses out of my range. I'll check it once a day and it's 50/50 that they are there or not. Totally random with no discernible pattern. It shouldn't be happening to begin with. As of "right now" it is not happening but I'm positive it will happen again later today, tomorrow, etc... I can't take it back to target as they only have a 15 day return policy. Nothing seems to be wrong at all with functionality. It's just showing ghost devices.
Message 15 of 19
Highlighted

Message 16 of 19
Highlighted
Aspirant

BUMP again. Does nobody think this is not an issue? :confused:
Message 17 of 19
Highlighted
Aspirant

This is my last BUMP on this thread. I have better luck with my order getting right at McDonalds then getting some kind of reply to an issue on here. Does anyone working at Netgear even monitor these forums??? I would think that this would be an issue they would look into. Ghost devices should not be showing up the way they do within the router. This is something specific to the router and it's firmware and has nothing to do with "external" environmental variables (connected devices, operating systems, wireless band, etc...) Others with this problem including myself would like to see some kind of traction on this issue. If you are not having the problem, good, glad it's working for you. Just would like an acknowledgment that this is an issue... Smiley Sad
Message 18 of 19
Highlighted
Aspirant

AeRoSpaceman wrote:
This is my last BUMP on this thread. I have better luck with my order getting right at McDonalds then getting some kind of reply to an issue on here. Does anyone working at Netgear even monitor these forums??? I would think that this would be an issue they would look into. Ghost devices should not be showing up the way they do within the router. This is something specific to the router and it's firmware and has nothing to do with "external" environmental variables (connected devices, operating systems, wireless band, etc...) Others with this problem including myself would like to see some kind of traction on this issue. If you are not having the problem, good, glad it's working for you. Just would like an acknowledgment that this is an issue... Smiley Sad

I don't know if you visited the link I posted earlier in this thread or if you even still have the router, but I had the same exact problem. I fixed it by flashing a different firmware provided by Netgear. Have a look:

http://forum1.netgear.com/showpost.php?p=480749&postcount=25
Message 19 of 19