ashok43b
Aspirant

improving lan speed on N600 router

lan speed out of my cable modem is around 95 mps. However when i connect it to the router, the speed drops down to 34 mps. Why do I loose so much speed and how can I improve it

Message 1 of 10
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: improving lan speed on N600 router

Hi @ashok43b,

Welcome to the community!

Do you have the latest firmware installed on your router?

When did this start happening? Was this working before?
It might be possible that the router is starting to degrade itself.

By the way, what's the exact model and version of your N600 router?

Looking forward to your response.

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 2 of 10
ashok43b
Aspirant

Thanks for answering my question Elaine

The model I have is WNDR3400. I just connected it and checked for updates and it had the latest firmware. I did hardware reset on the router and re tested the speed. This time it was 60 mpbs, May be it the max for this model.

Message 3 of 10
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@ashok43b What's the current firmware version on your router? The latest firmware available for your router is 1.0.0.52.

The router's WAN port is capable of 10/100Mbps though due to wear and tear that might be the max that it can handle.

By the way, after firmware upgrade did you reset the router?

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 4 of 10
ashok43b
Aspirant

The current version on my firmware is 1.0.0.52_20.0.60 and I reset it after the updates. The speed is now upto 50 mbps in wired version and upto 45mbps in wireless.

Message 5 of 10
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@ashok43b Is it stable at 50Mbps? Try to play around with the MTU and see if it will help.

Access the router page of the router and under Avanced > WAN Setup > MTU. To determine the best MTU to set see this link.

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 6 of 10
ashok43b
Aspirant

Well I am still getting between 50 to 60 mbps ans seems to be stable at these speeds. My wireless is around 50. I am using Windows 10 and the link does not show how to do it on win. 10. However I got to the DOS prompt, typed in the ping command but did not get the response I was expecting. It didn't tell me if I was fragmenting the packet or not. My MTU default setup is 1500 and did not want to mess around with it. I would like to get faster speeds if possible with my current router.

Message 7 of 10
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@ashok43b Try to set the MTU to 1400 and 1300. If it still the same thing, send me a copy of your configuration file.

The configuration file is the same thing as your back up settings.

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 8 of 10
ashok43b
Aspirant

Hi Elaine,

I set the MTU to 1400 and the speed now id over 85mbps. I checked the speed out of my cable modem into the router and it is around 90 mbps. I am very happy with it. Thank you so much for your help.

Message 9 of 10
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@ashok43b That's great news! You're welcome and thank you too for your update.

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements