Re: iphone (instead of a modem) feeds WNDR3700 - is it possible?

ngear1
Novice

iphone (instead of a modem) feeds WNDR3700 - is it possible?

Hi,

I want to use an iphone as a network data source for my WNDR3700. Is there any way (adapter, converter, whatever…) to feed the WNDR3700 uplink port with the WiFi network signal coming from an iphone (with “Personal Hotspot” enabled) instead of feeding it with a network cable signal coming from a modem? What options exist?

Thanks!
Message 1 of 10
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

get WNCE2001 and hook up 3700
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 2 of 10
Simon0
Novice

If you flash a recent 3rd party firmware, you should be able to use either client mode, client-bridge mode, repeater & repeater-bridge mode... some will call it WDS... but non-the-less it works. I'd avoid repeating as it generates too much interference and causes performance to drop more than half. Some smartphones allows you to tether it using a cable to the USB port of the router. I HIGHLY recommend those using a cable, rather than the hotspot method. iphones need proprietary drivers, but there may be an app for it though. Some of the newer AC-1xxx routers have this feature built-in. Some of the newer routers have 256MB to 512MB of ram & plenty of flash to have alot of nice useful features to run simultanously w/o crashing and MUCH faster USB access... the extra RAM + faster cpu really increases stability especially during USB access.
Message 3 of 10
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

User is trying to use iPhone tethering options to connect router

Can not use repeat.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 4 of 10
Simon0
Novice

jmizoguchi wrote:
User is trying to use iPhone tethering options to connect router

Can not use repeat.

If he uses latest dd-wrt build, he can connect to his hotspot in client or client-bridge and create a few VAPs for wireless devices and connect a few cat5 device for use as well. The wireless portion would function very similar to repeating/WDS... The LAN devices would perform very well, while wireless may be slower, but may not be much, because bottleneck may be his cellular data service, unless it's 4G/LTE tower in a rural area..Smiley Happy
Message 5 of 10
ngear1
Novice

Thanks, guys!

To be sure I understand you correctly:

1. One option would be to use WNCE2001 WiFi Internet Adapter (http://www.netgear.com/landing/wnce2001.aspx ). WNCW2001 will capture the WiFi data coming from the iphone and then output it to the LAN interface (plugged in the WNDR3700's up-link port). Sounds good and easy to do!

Q: Since WiFi usually slows down the speed, is there a similar setup option which uses a direct cable connection between the iphone(3G, 6/1.6mb) and WDNR3700? I assume that would be a better solution in terms of speed and stability - ?

2. Another would be to flash the router with dd-wrt, create some VAPs and use the LAN interfaces as well. Sounds interesting, but I am not sure if I would be able to handle all this (not too techie guy here...). Is the flashing too risky and does that setup require a lot of time?

Q: I'd like every device (no matter if wifi or lan fed by the router/WNDR3700) on this home network to be able to access the other connected devices. Would that be the case with this setup? Not sure why would I need those several VAPs, wouldn't one be enough?

Thanks!
Message 6 of 10
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Wnce2001 must be connected to Internet port if the 3700

Otherwise you can so either setting

Or get extender wn2500rp and don't use 3700 completely
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 7 of 10
ngear1
Novice

jmizoguchi wrote:
Wnce2001 must be connected to Internet port if the 3700

Otherwise you can so either setting

Or get extender wn2500rp and don't use 3700 completely

Thanks for helping, jmizoguchi! Unfortunately I am having hard time understanding the above. I understand WNCE2001 will be connected via cable to WNDR3700, but still the data from the iphone to the WNCE2001 will pass via WiFi and not cable, presumably WiFi slowing down the connection. That WiFi part between the iphone and WNDR3700 is what I am trying to avoid and use only cable based connections there.

AFAIU, WN2500RP needs a router (WNDR3700 in my case) whose signal to extend. And the setup will be like this:

iphone -- WN2500RP -- WNDR3700

Is that correct?
But actually is it at all possible to connect the iphone to the WN2500RP only with cable connections, not using any WiFi?
Btw, as I've mentioned, I'd need WNDR3700 to connect all my network devices (incl. the iphone) into one network. Would that be the case with such a setup? Wouldn't WN2500RP create another network additionally to the WNDR3700 network??

The ideal setup I'd imagine would be like this:

iphone -- WNDR3700 -- network devices
|--------------------- in one and the same network --------------------|

Is that what what the WN2500RP+WNDR3700 setup will provide?
Message 8 of 10
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

You will NEVER able to connect ANY networkimg device with cable to iPhone

So uou can only use wnce2001 or wn2500rp to JOIN the iPhone with wifi on tethering
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 9 of 10
Simon0
Novice

Another simpler way is to use one of the two frequency band of the WNDR3700 to connect to the iphone hotspot in client/client-bridge mode & setup an AP or two using the other band. Wired devices would work as usual of course. This way you only have to use one router device and very little performance degradation due to frequency sharing.

Other method is to use two device, one as a game adapter connected wired to the wan port of WNDR3700 & wireless to the iphone hotspot.

Android devices are easier to cable connect to routers, but many newer routers supports a USB GSM/LTE dongle/stick attached to the router as well... iphone is very proprietary and seems to need itunes to be installed on computer before cable tethering works Smiley Sad

Anyhow, 1st method is easiest and only requires dd-wrt or openwrt/gargoyle on 1 device.... (dd-wrt is easiest of course to use) Using two devices, in the old days, when they were giving away fonera single port routers for free, I had a few, & I'd set them up as game adapters and connect them in such a way to avoid the performance/instability penalty of repeating by using a non-overlapping 2.4ghz channel.. If you have an old wrt54g/gl/gs or a buffaly whr-54g, they can be easily flashed to tomato (broadcom only), which is even better than dd-wrt.. which can also be put into a game adapter type of mode to connect to your WNDR3700.. that way you can just use the stock WNDR3700 firmware & not worry about the dangers of flashing your WNDR3700. This method is similar in principle to what jmizoguchi is explaining...

hope that clarify things.. good luck..
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements