× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

m A6100 is disconnecting from wifi

Siralex914
Aspirant

m A6100 is disconnecting from wifi

ok so, i think most of us have this problem. but mines weird.

so heres my problem. when i connect to my house router (Xfinity) or my wifi extender wheich sits right next to my desk (TPLink) it will frequesntly discconect, and i mena it can range from about evey 10 seconds or immediatly disconnect when i connect to it or it will stay on for maybey 10-20 mins then keep cutting in and out. whats weird is it says "Connected" but it wont receive nor send data. or it will say "Connected, Mo Internet" even tho both my router and extender are running jsut fine. i also read this acrtical where this guy said his a6100 wouldent connect of keep cutting out even tho everything elkse that was on the wifi ran it just fine. but heres where mine is weird. i have a phone right? most of us do. most of us also have something on our phone called "Mobile Hotspot" which acts like a router yeah? well, when i turn it on, and connect to it, my a6100 will run it just fine, it wont disconnect, it wont freak out, it runs just fine. yet when i switch back to my router or extender, it go frits again and keeps randomly disconnecting. i have no clue how to fix this yet i want it fixed. i dont want to go through the trouble of buying a new one.

Model: A6100|WiFi USB Mini Adapter
Message 1 of 5
olympos1625
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: m A6100 is disconnecting from wifi

Hi Siralex914.

Welcome to NETGEAR Community!

Thank you for reaching out. We are sorry to hear about your experience with the adapter. Based on the scenario, the common denominator is that you tried a different network/connection which leads us to think that the problem could be the configuration of your home network and in your case is the router since the extender's configuration mostly relies on the router. We would recommend you changing the wireless channels of the router. Also for isolation, try turning off the wireless extender and see if that changes the situation.

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you need further assistance. 

Regards,

Oliver

Community Team

Message 2 of 5

It is very hard following your message. So I probably don't understand what is going on at your end.

Let's try to unravel this bit:

@Siralex914 wrote:

... it says "Connected" but it wont receive nor send data. or it will say "Connected, Mo Internet" even tho both my router and extender are running jsut fine.

What says "Connected, [N]o Internet"?

The A6100 is a WiFi USB Mini Adapter. So I am guessing that it is plugged into  a Windows PC.

Is that what shows the message "Connected, [N]o Internet"?

Where do you see the message?

Have you tried running the Network Troubleshooter in Windows?

Start here:

Fix network connection issues in Windows 10

It may be that your USB device is working just fine, but the PC is getting in the way.

There is one clue here:

@Siralex914 wrote:

i have a phone right? most of us do. most of us also have something on our phone called "Mobile Hotspot" which acts like a router yeah? well, when i turn it on, and connect to it, my a6100 will run it just fine, it wont disconnect, it wont freak out, it runs just fine.

This suggests that the A6100 is working just fine. So that's probably not where the problem lies.

You have posted your message in the section of this community given over to General WiFi Routers (Non-Nighthawk). (This is easily done, given Netgear's complicated community structure.)

Many questions apply to different types of device, so there may be useful responses here, but USB adapters are nothomg like routers, so you might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers specific to your device, in the appropriate section for your hardware. That's probably here:

WiFi Adapters - NETGEAR Communities

In the meantime you could visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware. Look at the label on the device for the model number.

You may have done this already. I can't tell from your message.

I mention it because Netgear stopped supplying printed manuals and CD versions some years ago and people sometimes miss the downloads.

Message 3 of 5
Siralex914
Aspirant

so replying to you, when i connect to wifi i use the windows wifi icon, and yes sorry, i typo alot and was somewhat in a rush atm so i didnt read over my message) and ive already tried other solutions many of your moderators have asked like "just unistall and reinstall the standalone driver" i have also tried restarting my router, restarting my extender. also to awnser your question, my brother has a hotspot as well, but his supports hotspotting Wifi as well as 4G, he hotspots wifi. i connect to his, and i said before, any hotspot apperntly works just fine. ive noticed many other users share my problem and i have tried darn near every solution, besides buying a new one, which i probably will buy a diffrent brand of adapter if this one is just faulty straight out. ive had this adapter for i belive a full year now, and it hasnt had a single problem up till recently. I understand atm there is an internet attack, and i will wait a few days and if it persists, i will discontinue using netgear and swap to a diffrent brand. also, for extra info my router is Xfinity and my extender is TPLink (which i am very pleased with their brand of products, i have had my extender for 3 years, and it runs like its new. never had a single problem with it. router is about 3-4 years because we swapped from AT&T to Xfinity becuase it was much cheaper and they gave us huge deals) my a1600 has troubles with connecting, and staying connected to my router and extender, but hotspots work fine.i also do not understand exactly what you mena by it might be my pc, ive never had a problem with it (my pc doesnt have a wifi chip in it, which is why i bought a adapter) if can think think of any other way to fix the adapter, please let me know, if i cannot fix it i will just buy a diffrent adapter. thanks for replying to my post as i am currently working as a band leader and constantly need to talk to the band.with the adapter being weird, its been hard trying to stay in contact with them.

Message 4 of 5

It is hard to follow "stream of consciousness"  messages.

If you want answers, remove the bits that do not describe your problem.

Use paragraphs.

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7