Highlighted
Follower

minimize power draw of WNR3500L

Using WNR3500L in an RV but wonder is there are any methods to minimize the power draw on the vehicles batteries.

One idea is wiring the DC 12V from the car direct to a power plug, so I bypass the inverter and the power supply brick's inefficiencies. That should help a lot.

Are there any other options?

Should I use instead one of the open source firmwares, if they would offer more choices?
Message 1 of 9
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Re: minimize power draw of WNR3500L

should draw pretty small.. 1.5A
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 2 of 9
Highlighted
Virtuoso

You would need to regulate the 12V vehicle supply because they are very rarely 12V, and without any kind of regulation the router may be damaged by power spikes when the engine is started.

The power used by the router is typically half of the 'power brick' capacity.
Message 3 of 9
Highlighted
Virtuoso

I forgot about that.. here is DC-DC power supply you can buy. I used to have good link to it but I don't have it.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 4 of 9
Highlighted
Apprentice

You did not specify whether you intended to use the router with the engine running or not.

With engine not running, I would say you are reasonable safe since the battery voltage is typically between 12-13volts at rest.

Once the engine is started, the voltage drops momentarily (to maybe as low as 9 volts) due to the high current drawn by the starter. Once the engine is running, the charging system takes over. The alternator/voltage regulator would raised the voltage to overcome the battery's voltage (which is how your vehicle's battery is charged). It's not as though the current is unregulated, but it may vary between around 11.5 to 15 volts, depending on the maximum regulated output of your RV's regulator and how much charge the battery needs. It is this variance in voltage that you have to be concerned about, and whether it would damage the router.

No doubt, as Andy and June have indicated, you need to regulate the voltage to ensure a fairly stable voltage. As June indicated too, there are such devices (witness cell phone chargers), but you will be well advised to choose a good one, since cheaply made ones could lead to damage.

All in all, the current draw of the router is quite small and you shouldn't be affected much by it. This must, of course, take into consideration:

- How long you will have the router on for.

- Your battery's amperage capacity.

- The battery's condition.

- Whether you live in a very cold climate where battery performance is critical.
Message 5 of 9
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Draw of the unit is quite low so with deep cycle battery, you will able to use for long time.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 6 of 9
Highlighted
Aspirant

jmizoguchi wrote:
Draw of the unit is quite low so with deep cycle battery, you will able to use for long time.

Resurrecting an old thread, but I'm looking to do the same thing. I think the important thing to consider is how the voltage regulation is done in the router. I have seen reports of the WRT54G router, for instance, being able to operate anywhere from 4.5-35Vdc input, due to the fact that the internal regulator was taking what was coming in and brute force regulating it all down to 3.3Vdc. If that is the case with the Netgear router as well, then this all becomes much simpler, and much more efficient, to just power it direct from the 12-14.5V source in the vehicle.
Message 7 of 9
Highlighted
Virtuoso

It may well be the case that on-board regulation can accept variation in input voltage, but this kind of regulation is rarely designed to accommodate the power surges/spikes that can occur during engine starting. I would not recommend powering computer type devices directly from the vehicle supply, unless they are isolated during start-up, or protected by power filters.
Message 8 of 9
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Check out Cradle Point they make mobile routers. I used one on my boat for years with cellular WIFI card and it worked fine. I still have it, It even lets you set up info page, I used it to notify transient's how to contact me to use my WIFI.

Deep cycles typical have a lower float voltage than a normal car battery. If the RV has House Batteries you might get away connecting to them. Depending on RV options most have a separate vehicle start battery and I wouldn't connect anything to it.

If the RV power inverter is used all the time then adding the router is not worth worrying about. But running the invertor to power the router only would be a waste.

I would check out cradle point they make some nice compact 12VDC routers. I used mine for 5 months none stop each season. I used a piece Velcro and placed on radar arch, this gave me line of site to Sprint tower and great coverage on the dock to control iTunes running the sound system.
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements