missing option for 'none' as wifi password

NewBreed69
Aspirant

missing option for 'none' as wifi password

I have a Netgear R6300 (AC1750) that I recieved from my ISP (Charter) and I don't have an option to select 'none' as my wifi password option. Is this the way it should be or does it seem like this is a defect? I also have a N300 and a N150 and both have the 'none' option. I have factory reset the device and also reinstalled the latest firmware to no avail. Any ideas would be helpful, thanks.
Message 1 of 14
netwrks
Master

Re: missing option for 'none' as wifi password

You should always use a passphrase (not default) and change the SSID to some other than the canned SSID's that come with the router. People lurking will attempt to guess passwords and unsecured wifi is just asking for trouble.

Message 2 of 14
NewBreed69
Aspirant

I have my wifi ssid hidden and I use MAC filtering instead so I think I'll be ok, but that wasn't my question?
Message 3 of 14
TheEther
Guru

Um, no, that's not really ok.  SSIDs are never truly hidden.  And MAC filtering can be easily bypassed by spoofing.  It's your network, but now you know where it stands, securitywise.

Just to be clear, in order to not use a password, you need to set the Wi-Fi security to None.  It can't be set to WPA or WPA2.

Given that the router was supplied by your ISP, it's possible that they locked out some of the options, including the ability to set no security. Were you able to install firmware downloaded from Netgear's website?  If so, did you perform a factory reset after the upgrade?  Sometimes, a firmware upgrade causes flaky behavior if a factory reset isn't done.

Message 4 of 14
NewBreed69
Aspirant

I'll take the risk with how my security is set up now, but thank you for the suggestion.

I did a factory reset BEFORE doing the firmware upgrade
Message 5 of 14
TheEther
Guru

Sorry, I edited my previous reply after you responded to it.  Do you see an option to set security to None?

Did you do a factory reset AFTER the firmware upgrade?

Can you post a screenshot with the missing option?  You can upload an image by clicking on the icon that looks like a mountain with a moon in the sky.

Message 6 of 14
NewBreed69
Aspirant

no I do not see a 'none' option
Message 7 of 14
TheEther
Guru

Please post a screenshot.  And provide the firmware version.

Message 8 of 14
NewBreed69
Aspirant

netgearss.jpg

here is the screenshot.

My question now is if my ISP did infact tweak this Firmware, is there a way to flash a bone stock firmware version back on it?

Message 9 of 14
TheEther
Guru

Thanks for providing the snapshot.  It's running custom firmware.  The firmware version has the characters CH, which probably stands for Charter.  And it looks like they locked out the None Security option.

I don't know if it's possible to flash stock firmware on it.  I thought you had already tried?

Message 10 of 14
NewBreed69
Aspirant

I tried flashing the stock firmware from here and the router threw back an error saying "incorrect file type" even though I was uploading the correct file type (.chk)
Message 11 of 14
TheEther
Guru

It's likely that the router cannot accept stock firmware.  You will have to take this up with Charter.

Message 12 of 14
ShepPlus
Aspirant

I have the exact same problem as NewBreed69.  I am unable to change the "Security Options" to "None".  I also have a Charter router with the same firmware.

The reason I want to change the Security Options to None is, I am trying to setup the router as a wireless repeater...and the instructions says the Security Options needs to be set to None.

Did you either of you figure out how to do this?

Message 13 of 14
TheEther
Guru

Like I said above, it's likely that the Charter router will not accept stock firmware, so you will have contact them.

It's really not a good idea to set up a wireless repeater with no security.  The traffic will be exposed for anyone to see.  Get a range extender, instead.  It will support security.

Message 14 of 14
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E