need static ip help

n7leadfarmer
Novice

need static ip help

I really hate to clog the forum with this topic but I am having some trouble giving my PS4 a static IP. I've done it on several routers before, but I am not very good with networking terminology. I honestly think I might have found the answer already but because i don't get the jargon I'm not sure how to interpret it and solve the problem on my own. I get the concepts, but it's still not clicking.

So...

I am connecting through LAN, and have an ip address. I thought that a static IP had to be in the range of x.x.1.2-254 but no matter what IP i enter in the "static routes" menu, once i enter the subnet mask, default gateway and metric (never needed to add this before, i've just been using 2), and apply, the "destination" always resets to x.x.1.0

I'm not sure why it's resetting to 0 and it obviously doesn't work when I set my ps4's IP to match it. Really not sure how this works and the manual doesn't offer any helpful tips.

please, if you don't mind, explain it to me like i'm a noob. I still need to forward ports after this something I've never fully understood. (I've done it several times before but it never fixes the NAT restriction problems i've tried to remedy over the past 8 years of console gaming).

thanks in advance to anyone willing to assist Smiley Happy
Message 1 of 7
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: need static ip help

Static routes is not the area you want to be in, if you have made changes there in relation to this issue then I suggest that you remove them.

You have two basic options;

1. Set a static IP address at the PS4

This is truly setting a static IP address, settings are made mostly at the PS4. You disable the option to use DHCP at the PS4, and set IP data manually, typically as follows;

• IP 192.168.1.100 (100 is an example – your choice)
• Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
• Gateway 192.168.1.1
• DNS 1 (and 2 if required) 192.168.1.1

If you set an IP address at the PS4, then you should change the DHCP range of the router so that it end before the static address you set, in this example the range would be 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.99

2. Use DHCP address reservation;

• This is not a true static IP address but for your purposes the end result is the same, and it’s easier to manage;
• Go to the DHCP page of the router settings and look for ‘Address Reservation’, look for the currently allocated IP address for the PS4, set this as a reserved address. In future that IP address will not be allocated to any device other than the PS4, it is reserved. The PS4 still uses DHCP to get its IP data.
• It may be possible to reserve a specific IP address for the PS4, but this usually requires some rebooting of the PS4 or maybe disconnection of the network cable and it can be a little more tricky to get working.
fordem
Mentor

A static route and a static ip address are two very different things - and a static ip address will have to be set at the PS4, not at the router.

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day
Teach a man to fish, feed him for life.
Message 3 of 7
BaJohn
Virtuoso

1. Set a static IP address at the PS4

This is truly setting a static IP address, settings are made mostly at the PS4. You disable the option to use DHCP at the PS4, and set IP data manually, typically as follows;

• IP 192.168.1.100 (100 is an example – your choice)
• Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
• Gateway 192.168.1.1
• DNS 1 (and 2 if required) 192.168.1.1

If you set an IP address at the PS4, then you should change the DHCP range of the router so that it end before the static address you set, in this example the range would be 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.99

Just to clarify for my piece of mind.

By implication from the above, the router is quite happy to use addresses outside the DHCP range specified?

I've never done it, but it seems rather strange to supply a range to use and then use addresses that do not fit that range.

RN516 (6x4TB RAID10 using WD Red Disks) :- R8500, WN2500RP and A7000
Windows 10 pro (64bit):- Intel i7 with 16GB memory .......Smiley Very Happy
Message 4 of 7
netwrks
Master

If you modified your DHCP Pool then you have split the subnet.

First part of your  DHCP Pool (as you identified with a start and end IP Address) the router will serve IP Addresses dynamically,  (for laptop phones etc if that is how you set up your network - which it's supposed to do) the second part of the subnet will be ignored by the router. You can use these IP Addresses to statitically assign  to network devices, like you have done with your XBOX..

Message 5 of 7
BaJohn
Virtuoso

....... the second part of the subnet will be ignored by the router.
You can use these IP Addresses to statitically assign to network devices, like you have done with your XBOX.

Now you have confused me even more ....

From what you have said the router ignores the XBOX.

Is that correct?

Are you suggesting that the PC connects to the XBOX without going thorugh the router?

RN516 (6x4TB RAID10 using WD Red Disks) :- R8500, WN2500RP and A7000
Windows 10 pro (64bit):- Intel i7 with 16GB memory .......Smiley Very Happy
Message 6 of 7
netwrks
Master

If you configured your router and XBOX as described in your original post, you're good. The router will happily give out IP Addresses to the rest of your devices, without issue.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements