phone/tablets are unable to see 5ghz band at-all.

daksh11
Novice

phone/tablets are unable to see 5ghz band at-all.

both my phone and tablets support 5ghz wireless N, but they are not able to see R6300 on 5ghz. They use to connect fine with N900, is this a setting issue or R6300 issues ??
Message 1 of 8
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

Re: phone/tablets are unable to see 5ghz band at-all.

Are you sure they are 5GHz ‘N’ and not just 2.4GHz ‘N’ (wireless ‘N’ operates on either band)?
Message 2 of 8
Ephone
Tutor

What phone and tablets do you have? Are you sure they used to connect to N900 on 5GHz? Any special configuration you made on the router than default settings?
Message 3 of 8
Cybercare
Aspirant

I have an HTC Evo 4g LTE and it has no problem seeing the R6300, in fact I have had my device connected only using 5Ghz from Beta release of the product through full production and still see's it fine.

Now that being said distance from the device can have an impact as well. While the wireless output could be better on the router, remember everything is only as good as the weakest link and mobile devices have relatively low quality and low range/output wireless for wifi but if you go in same room as the router and don't see 5Ghz make sure the phone is enabled to use 5. It may by default be set to 2.4 only (if the phone indeed support it as not all do)

Same rules for tablets.
Message 4 of 8
Scubbie
Apprentice

Your phone needs to have a WiFi a/b/g/n adaptor, not just WiFi b/g/n. It may help if you could post the make and model of the phone you are using to see if others have the same one.

Also I performed a test for the WNDA3100v2 adaptor the other day. I also used my phone and Laptop WiFi adaptors to see which could and could not see the 5GHz signal on different channels.

The result was that the WNDA3100v2 only worked on a small part of the spectrum, compared to the others. With this in mind, could I suggest that initially you only use channels 36-48 to check things out.

http://forum1.netgear.com/showpost.php?p=406945&postcount=10
Message 5 of 8
daksh11
Novice

Phone - Galaxy Nexus Prime
Tablet - Asus TF201 - transformer Prime
PC - HP Omni 220

ALl of these guys dont see the 5GHz band, my phone some time will see it but when I try to connect it shows "out of range".(while i am standing next to the router)

I have all the default setting on the router, i tried different speeds to see if that's the issue, i also tried no security.
Message 6 of 8
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

The phone details suggest it’s 5GHz capable.

If this is the tablet then its specs say 2.4GHz only http://uk.asus.com/Eee/Eee_Pad/Eee_Pad_Transformer_Prime_TF201/#specifications

The specs for the HP PC show a few options for WiFi but do not state if it’s 2.4 GHz only or dual band 2.4/5 GHz.

The 5GHz channel change that Scubbie suggested is a good idea.
Message 7 of 8
Ephone
Tutor

Try to change the 5GHz channel to 36, 40, 44, 48.

My Galaxy Nexus can see router's SSID on these channels but not others.
Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E