Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Highlighted
Novice

port fowarding for gaming

ALright i have spent a lot of time doing research on this issue to no avail. I have an R6250 router hooked up to my main computer I am attempting to open ports for League of Legends but am not having much luck
My process thus far; disable upnp, set static ip of 10.0.0.3 ( yes i have a briged router from verizon fios)
Next set up all port fowarding rules for lol
5000 - 5500 UDP - League of Legends Game Client
8393 - 8400 TCP - Patcher and Maestro
2099 TCP - PVP.Net
5223 TCP - PVP.Net
5222 TCP - PVP.Net
80 TCP - HTTP Connections
443 TCP - HTTPS Connections
Next check from my laptop connected to the same network using "telnet 10.0.0.3 2099" 5000,8393,5223 ect.
I always receive the error Could not open connection to the host on port 2099, connect failed.
I have no idea what else to do, I am also expecting issues with the bridged modem/gateway but I dont want to get ahead of my self.

Message 1 of 12
Highlighted
Mentor

Re: port fowarding for gaming

What do you have at 10.0.0.3? Is it "listening" for a connection on port 2099, 5000, etc.?

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day
Teach a man to fish, feed him for life.
Message 2 of 12
Highlighted
Novice

I have my gaming rig set to 10.0.0.3. I'm not sure if it is listening or not but I have the game client running while I checked.
Message 3 of 12
Highlighted
Mentor

If you're on the same LAN as the gaming rig and can't connect on the specified port, the problem is not the port forwarding on the router (that is for WAN or internet connections only) , the problem is going to be your gaming rig.

Message 4 of 12
Highlighted
Novice

Ok what kind of issue could it be? I tried disabling windows fire wall and my antivirus completely. What else could cause it? I'm using an evga 68ftw mobo with a marvel nic
Message 5 of 12
Highlighted
Mentor

Back to the question of what's "listening" on any given port - if you don't have an application or service listening for the connection, then there will be nothing to connect to - saying you have the game client running really means nothing, because, for the most part, clients don't listen (or wait) for connections (to be made), clients make the connections. As an example, your web browser is a client that connects to a webserver (usually on port 80) but the web browser makes the connection to the webserver not the other way around, so having a web browser running on your PC will not allow a connection on port 80, you would have to have a webserver running.

Message 6 of 12
Highlighted
Novice

Ok makes sense I will try and check when I'm in a game tonight. I did check port 80 and 23 while I was on the internet but I'm not sure if I checked as it was loading or after it finished. Also I used an online port checker and it came up blocked but as far as troubleshooting, I know this is different
Message 7 of 12
Highlighted
Novice

This is a no go. I tried checking the ports from another computer using telnet 10.0.0.3 2099, i also tried 5000, 50001, and 5050 while i was in game. I also tried telnet 10.0.0.3 80, and 23, While i was streaming pandora. I went into my nic settings and did a little research on the settings that would clutter my ping and disabled the following. Flow control, interrupt moderation, and tcp check sum moderation. Nothing i have done so far has made any effect on my ping. It has not even changed a single point =/
Message 8 of 12
Highlighted
Mentor

Now if you had said that improving ping response times was the aim, I could have told you you were wasting your time - port forwarding has nothing to do with ping times - port forwarding is done for only one reason - to allow access from the internet.

Message 9 of 12
Highlighted
Novice

I was under the impression that port forwarding allowed specific signals to bypass security settings in the router to reduce ping. And if that is the case where else do I look to lower ping? My ping to Cali is 60 with 0 packet loss and 1ms jitter. Ping to ny is 15 0 packet loss and 0ms jitter. I am in NJ. I just double checked and there is a server in NY.
Message 10 of 12
Highlighted
Mentor

First - port forwarding - the NAT process used to share your single public ip address discards all unsolicited incoming connect requests - port forwarding allows these requests through - if the request matches a forwarded port it is allowed, if not it is discarded - it has no impact on ping response times. Second - ping - Packet InterNet Groper is a connectivity test utility - you send a ping request to an ip host and it sends a ping response in return - if you get the response you have a communication path in both directions - please note these may be two different paths. Ping response times are affected by many things and in my opinion far too much emphasis is place on ping response times - unless you know EVERY node & EVERY internode link between you and the host you are pinging, as well as what these bodes are doing and what traffic is on the internode links at the time of the ping, you have no idea if the response time is good or bad. Responding to a ping request is generally considered a low priority task, so if you ping a router that is busy, it will not respond to you immediately - it literally has more important things to do - there is one brand of router, that supposedly makes up over half of the internet, that is noted for not keeping the ping responder in memory, it has to load it from flash to respond to a ping request, and the first request will typically time out because of this. Some people (including seasoned network professionals) feel that they can gauge "link quality" from ping response times, I've learned otherwise, and what I will tell you is this - with experience you will learn to judge what is normal response for a particular connection, but once the target you are pinging is outside of your network, there's very little you can do to change the response time. Learn to use pathping - a different tool - this will show you where along the path the degradation occurs, and if it's not under your control, there's nothing you can do about it.

Message 11 of 12
Highlighted
Novice

Ok thanks for all the help I will check out pathping and see what happens
Message 12 of 12