port on 3700 MUST have public IP (ISP released )

mvestel
Aspirant

port on 3700 MUST have public IP (ISP released )

I can not get my port forwarding to work on my N600 wndr3700. i was told:

"WAN/internet port of the 3700 MUST have public IP (ISP released ) or it will not work"

the router and modem work normally as far as i can tell.

Is there a way to set it so this router has the ISP relased as suggested?
Message 1 of 10
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: port on 3700 MUST have public IP (ISP released )

read router setup on my sig below and read all the steps.

it DESCRIBES all types of broadband modem should be setup as with the router
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 2 of 10
mvestel
Aspirant

i read through this and have lots of question. most i dont get what your saying because the grammer is so bad.

i dont get the point of a forum that just has ONE guy answering all posts and just keeps saying the same thing. read ALL my documentation on the subject.

its not helpful.

i need guidance that takes more than one second to provide. otherwise, i'm not sure why you are answering. someone else out there might have had a reply and some questions of things to check that are helpful.
Message 3 of 10
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

rather complaining .. ask question from reading it..

it DESCRIBES all types of broadband modem should be setup as with the router

give you the tips already.... READ STEPS 2

if you can not come up one single question then you have no idea .
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 4 of 10
jlewter
Guide

No need to attack him over his grammatical English errors. We all have such errors, even in our native tongue. Plus this is a user<->user support forum, so he was trying to help out of the kindness of his heart.

The WAN port must have the ISP issued IP. It could be possible that your double NATed. That is, your modem is functioning as a router and providing an IP to the 3700 that is limited due to the NAT layer.

On the routers web page go to Maintenance/Router Status.
If the IP Address listed under Internet Port starts with 10, 172, or 192 then it has a private IP on the wan side and your under double NAT.

If it's not one of those 3 ip's then you should be fine to use port forwarding, if so then detail the issue your having and we'll break it down.. (all of us, even those who may not be fluent)
Message 5 of 10
mvestel
Aspirant

Step two has no info in it:
Network Configuration Sheet (This section is gettin more updates)

Download our Check List to detail your setups

For Home End User- Fill out setup sheet ~

For Advance User (ProSecure/ProSafe routers)- Fill out setup sheet ~

Step there does nothing either, i have cable modem. i dont use double NAT

For any broadband modem, your goal is to provide public IP to the router you are installing.

Avoid using Double NAT: Double NAT means connecting one router directly behind another for the purpose of having multiple LANs. Double NAT may cause problems.

For DSL users: you need to make a note to configure “bridge mode” for DSL modem/router combo unit. Best results on how to make “bridge mode” is to consult your ISP. (if you are getting 10.x.x.x IP for netgear routers, you have double NAT and requires bridge mode setup need it!!)
How to setup "Bride mode" with 2wire DSL modem (this example for typical 2Wire DSL modem/router )

For T-1 users: “bridge mode” may apply as well. Consult your provider

For Satellite User: likely to setup router as an access point (see here or PDF file of ours)

so WHERE is all this great help?
Message 6 of 10
mvestel
Aspirant

I"m not attacking him on his grammar. i'm saying nothing he says is a full sentence, including all the links he has. i read through them. they are VERY confusing and not helpful. and then he just keeps saying the same things. some of us are not computer gurus. help should reflect that as its pointed out. you can say three words to someone and they might understand, or it might take a sentense or two for you to describe to someone not as brilliant as you.

that is my point. all help is not equal, your support, if you want to give it, should be dynamic to that.

six posts saying the same thing dont mean you answered six questions.

dont make me look like i'm attacking someone because their foreign. THAT is offensive too.

Phew, this stuff puts me in a horrible mood.
Message 7 of 10
mvestel
Aspirant

jlewter wrote:
No need to attack him over his grammatical English errors. We all have such errors, even in our native tongue. Plus this is a user<->user support forum, so he was trying to help out of the kindness of his heart.

The WAN port must have the ISP issued IP. It could be possible that your double NATed. That is, your modem is functioning as a router and providing an IP to the 3700 that is limited due to the NAT layer.

On the routers web page go to Maintenance/Router Status.
If the IP Address listed under Internet Port starts with 10, 172, or 192 then it has a private IP on the wan side and your under double NAT.

If it's not one of those 3 ip's then you should be fine to use port forwarding, if so then detail the issue your having and we'll break it down.. (all of us, even those who may not be fluent)

My IP address under Internet port is

Hardware Version WNDR3700
Firmware Version V1.0.4.68NA
GUI Language Version V1.0.0.42

Internet Port
MAC Address 30:46:9A:1C:61:0B
IP Address 67.169.45.121
Internet DHCP
IP Subnet Mask 255.255.248.0
Domain Name Server 68.87.76.182

LAN Port
MAC Address 30:46:9A:1C:61:0A
IP Address 192.168.2.1
DHCP On
IP Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Message 8 of 10
jlewter
Guide

Going by that, you have a public IP, port forwarding should be working fine.

So, What ports are you trying to forward, and to what kind of application.
Message 9 of 10
Simon0
Novice

mvestel wrote:
I can not get my port forwarding to work on my N600 wndr3700. i was told:

"WAN/internet port of the 3700 MUST have public IP (ISP released ) or it will not work"

the router and modem work normally as far as i can tell.

Is there a way to set it so this router has the ISP relased as suggested?

What modem or gateway are you using for the Internet, or is it simply a direct connect FIOS, requiring no modem or customer equipment on your end.
Message 10 of 10
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E