× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

powerline av 500 / xav5401 | new internet speed but it doesnt work over powerline

xsdfadad
Aspirant

powerline av 500 / xav5401 | new internet speed but it doesnt work over powerline

Pls I beg you someone help me. two days ago our internet speed doubled and it works fine wifi wise but the internet speed via the powerline is still the old one. I reset the devices uncountable times but I still only get the old internet speed via lan from the powerline adapter.

Model: XAV5401|Powerline 500 Passthrough Home Adapter
Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

Re: powerline av 500 / xav5401 | new internet speed but it doesnt work over powerline

What speeds are you paying for? 

the XAV5401 is an older AV500 powerline device. But powerline is sensitive to interference. Depending on your home and whats causing interference, you might be maxing out your powerline. Or it might just be the limit of that device and upgrading to new powerline devices with higher performance might help. 

Message 2 of 7
xsdfadad
Aspirant

Re: powerline av 500 / xav5401 | new internet speed but it doesnt work over powerline

I now have 100k down, double the size of what I had before (50k down)

Message 3 of 7
xsdfadad
Aspirant

I also have a thrid device connected to them, the XWN5001, that should be a newer one I think and that one also doesn't transmit the full 100k

Message 4 of 7
plemans
Guru

all those devices are AV500 powerline devices. 

Powerline is sensitive to interference as well as distance. I'd highly recommend reading a few tested reviews on these devices. 

I'd also keep in mind, that they're speeds drop quickly in seperate circuits. The reviews I link to will show tested speeds. 1 test on the same circuit and a couple on different circuits (most homes). 

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/archives/lanwan/lanwan-reviews/31624-homeplug-av-500-adapter-roundup

Another thing  to be careful of, if you do upgrade, powerline functions at the speed of the slowest device. So if you upgrade to AV2000 devices but keep your AV500 device connected, you'll get the slower speeds. 

Message 5 of 7
xsdfadad
Aspirant

So you would say that an upgrade would fix the problem? Like for sure or is that just a possible fix. Which kit would you recommend? I really have no idea about that I'm sorry xd

Message 6 of 7
plemans
Guru

Would it forsure fix the slow down? No clue. 

Each home is different. and some homes dont' work well for powerline devices because of wiring, interference, distance, etc. 

So I can't say 100% it'll fix your slow down. 

Why are you using powerline? 

have you looked into mesh systems or moca adapters? 

how big is your home? 

What are the interior walls made of?

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7