Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted

"[Internet connected] IP address: ..." shows up in log when internet is already connected. Why?

I have noticed that at different times of day, my router log will indicate that I am connected to internet when I already am.

It will always display my correct IP address (censored for obvious reasons) and will appear as such

[Time synchronized with NTP server] Tuesday, Feb 21,2017 17:57:38
[Internet connected] IP address: *CENSORED*, Tuesday, Feb 21,2017 17:57:37

Any clue why it is doing this? It is generally only happening once or twice a day to my knowledge. Does this have to do with my modem?

I also notice at unrelated times of day I get entries as below indicating that my Samsung SmartCam has been assigned an IP address it already had the moment before
[DHCP IP: (192.168.1.3)] to MAC address *CENSORED*, Tuesday, Feb 21,2017 12:41:27

Is this behavior normal?
Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
Highlighted
Guru

Re: "[Internet connected] IP address: ..." shows up in log when internet is already connec

Both your ISP internet address and the local address used by the camera are being assigned by DHCP.  DHCP uses a "lease" model, where the IP address is "leased" to the client for a certain period of time.  The client needs to "renew" the lease, or it can "release" the address at any point  and request a new one..  Either way, the router (or your ISP) can re-assign the same IP address.

So possibly the lease is expiring..  But it's also possible that the internet connection is being disrupted somehow - either the ISP link, or the modem, or the ethernet connection between the modem and the router.

You can see the lease times for the router IP address (when obtained and when expired) in the router admin page - click on advanced, then look for a "connection status" button on the internet port pane.  That should bring up a pop-up.

Are you noticing any disruptions in service?  Or just the log entries?

Message 2 of 4
Highlighted

Re: "[Internet connected] IP address: ..." shows up in log when internet is already connec

Lease Obtained     1 days,0 Hours,0 Minutes
Lease Expires     0 days,20 Hours,6 Minutes

I don't really notice disruptions. Sometimes when I am in the living room (away from my router), I feels like my router is slower than it should be but otherwise nothing seems wrong.

I remember one day I got the message at 12:39 AM and then at 12:39PM, but it is not always the same time.

Message 3 of 4
Highlighted
Guru

Many devices will renew their DHCP leases around midway through, so 12 hours into a 1 day lease.

DHCP has many other functions beyond IP address allocation.  Devices will often send DHCP requests for other information.  Look at the complete list here.  Most routers generally will not furnish this extra information but they will still log the packet.

If your Internet is working, then I would not be too concerned by these log messages.  DHCP traffic is insignificant.

Message 4 of 4