Re: "Netgear router is not found or supported" error message showing on desktop only

tev_n_otes
Tutor

"Netgear router is not found or supported" error message showing on desktop only

I recently just purchased the r6250 router and went through the whole set up with almost no problems. the main problem i did run into while setting up was the fact that i could not continue the setup using my desktop. i didnt think anything of it at first but after i finished the set up with my phone i went to my desktop and tried to get into the settings to change the router password. i noticed that i could not sign in using the genie app because it gives the error described in the subject. I tried using the browser as well with all the thigns i found to try (192.168.1.1, 192.168.0.1, 10.0.0.1, www.routerlogin.net, www.routerlogin.com) and none of them worked. when i try most of these on my laptop or android phone it works fine. i even checked to make sure the ip of my computer was within the range of the domain and it is. My desktop is running windows 10 pro 64 bit and my laptop (which it works on) is running windows 8 home 64 bit. i tried moving the ethernet ports around on the router, restarting it, checking for updates (there were none), and restarting my computer, none of these things helped. anyone have an idea what i could do to remedy this problem? let me know if i left out any important information.

Message 1 of 5
VE6CGX
Master

Re: "Netgear router is not found or supported" error message showing on desktop only

Did you try to ping roruter from desktop? If you know how to use ipconfig command use it with various switches.

You can get needed info. why you are unable to talk to desktop. NIC in the desktop is enabled and running? Look

in the device manager.

Message 2 of 5
tev_n_otes
Tutor

Yeah i pinged my router from my desktop and it worked fine (got similar results as the example in this link: http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-ping-the-windows-network-router.html). Im assuming the NIC is the same as the Network adapter, in which case yes that is working as well. it also has up to date drivers. Just as a bit of clarification: my desktop is connected to the internet, that is working fine. I just can't get into my router to change any of the settings.

Message 3 of 5
VE6CGX
Master

Does not make sense.  Ping result conflicts with error message then.

Cleared browser cache? Tried different browser? Lastly I'd reset the

router and try it.

Message 4 of 5
tev_n_otes
Tutor

I figured it out! im assuming it had something to do with the fact that my router is currently plugged into my landlords router. What i had to do was change the defualt gateway to a different ip because it seemed to be conflicting with my landlords modem/router/something. thanks for the help though!

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements