× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

r6400 ac1750 intermittent internet

JonGe
Aspirant

r6400 ac1750 intermittent internet

This unit is less than a year old.  Since the last firmware update (v1.0.1.76_1.08.48) has had slow internet and web pages that I have to keep reloading because it is unable to connect.  This problem occurs on both the wired pc and the wireless connected ipad.  Bypassing the router, signal straight from the modem, solves the problem on the pc.  The speed is cut from 250 mbps to 175 mbps using the router.

The unit is R6400/AC1750 v2 Smart Wifi Router.  OS on the PC is Windows 10.

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: r6400 ac1750 intermittent internet

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for General Router products. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with older routers and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this router forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/General-WiFi-Routers-Non/bd-p/home-wifi-routers-general

Please use this link to the main forum product list to review and choose where to make your posts. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Forum/ct-p/en-netgear

Thank you

Message 2 of 7
plemans
Guru

Several product lines have had dns issues on the latest firmware. 

Some were fixed by simply enabling IPv6. 

Others needed to downgrade the firmware. 

I'd recommend trying the IPv6 option first. 

Then if that doesn't work, try the downgrade. 

If you pay for the 250mbps speeds, make sure to disable access control, traffic monitoring, parental controls, and qos. the R6400 is pretty base model and using those puts an additional burden on the cpu and can slow you're overall speeds. 

Message 3 of 7

@JonGe wrote:

This unit is less than a year old.  Since the last firmware update (v1.0.1.76_1.08.48) has had slow internet and web pages that I have to keep reloading because it is unable to connect.  This problem occurs on both the wired pc and the wireless connected ipad.  Bypassing the router, signal straight from the modem, solves the problem on the pc.  The speed is cut from 250 mbps to 175 mbps using the router.

What is your modem? Is it, by any chance, a modem/router?

Have you ever tried a reset and reconfigure on your router?

How do I perform a factory reset on my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

By all means waste your time by following boilerplate instructions to "go away" and visit another section with very little traffic. In reality your question is pretty generic. And the difference between your router and the Nighthawk things covered here is probably just the price.

Message 4 of 7
wcalifas
Prodigy

You can try reverting back to a previous firmware and see if that helps but you will have to manually install the firmware. Make sure you click off automatic updates if you reset your router because it will update it to the firmware that's giving you issues.

Message 5 of 7
JonGe
Aspirant

thanks for the reply.

How do I find previous firmware for my model?

Message 6 of 7
wcalifas
Prodigy

Go to www.netgear.com and click on support then on the box that appears write the model r6400 and then click on downloads and on the + sign you'll be able to see the previous firmwares to download
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7