× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

reset to factory defaults, then restore configuration file?

dsn
Tutor
Tutor

reset to factory defaults, then restore configuration file?

Quick question: I have read many times that it is a good idea to reset a wifi router to factory defaults before, then again after, flashing a new firmware. What I'm wondering is, do I still get the benefit of resetting if I save the current configuration to a file, then restore the configuration file after flashing and resetting to default? Or is it better to just restore my previous configuration manually?

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Re: reset to factory defaults, then restore configuration file?

No, you will lose the benefit of resetting if you restore from a configuration file.  In spite of this, many people do it and, more often than not, there are no ill effects.  But the two latest versions of firmware for the R7000 are a prime example where restoring from an older configuration file only leads to grief.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

No, you will lose the benefit of resetting if you restore from a configuration file.  In spite of this, many people do it and, more often than not, there are no ill effects.  But the two latest versions of firmware for the R7000 are a prime example where restoring from an older configuration file only leads to grief.

Message 2 of 3
dsn
Tutor
Tutor

OK, thanks. A lot more time consuming, but it's done and everything seems to be working well.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7