× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

router question from a noob

ShawHale
Follower

router question from a noob

I live and work in China. The internet here has many restrictions. I currently have 2 netgear routers, one is connected to the other via an ethernet cable. This way I can have 2 wifi signals in my house. On the second router, I flashed DD WRT and am running Astril VPN.

My old internet speed was 100 MB and today I just upgraded to 1,000 MB.

I already ordered an Asus RT AX88U wifi 6 router (64 bit Quad Core @ 1.8 Ghz, RAM 1024 MB, and 256 Flash). My older router is a Netgear Nighthawk R7000. (600 +1300 mbps, AC1900, Processor 1GHZ, 256 MB Ram and 128 MB Flash).

Question 1 - Do I need 2 wifi 6 (newer more power routers) in order to benefit from the 1 GIG net speed?

Question 2- Current setup Asus RT AX88U and Netgear R7000 routers. Whiche one should I run the Chinese net as the main one and which one should I use as the VPN router? I plan to flash the Asus with Merlin.

Question 3- Since the Netgear is an older model... Will it slow down the internet speed of the Asus should I choose to have the Asus be the VPN router bc its faster?

Please... any helpful comments would be apprecate. Excuse the long post.

Thank You.

Message 1 of 1
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 0 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7