Reply

setting static default route?

Dick_W
Aspirant

setting static default route?

Anybody know how to set a static default route for the DGND3700? My DSL modem went south and while I'm working the RMA process, I wanted to at least get most of the functions of the router operational.
Message 1 of 8
albgen
Aspirant

Re: setting static default route?

hello,
what do you mean exactly by how to set a static route?
You dont know the purpose of static routes or you cant find it on the configuration menu?
Or do you want an example scenario where you need static routes?

Personally, i have not try static routes on my DGND3700 because simply i dont need them at least for now, so i dont know if it works or not
Message 2 of 8
Dick_W
Aspirant

Re: setting static default route?

I know the purpose of a static route.

I tried to enter the route as a reoue to 0.0.0.0 in the static routes screen, but it was rejected.

I have the modem running as an access point but in this mode for some reason it doesn't seen willing to route nor know about the gateway that is also on the local network even though that device claims to be running RIP v2. I was trying to force the static default route to get around this.
Message 3 of 8
albgen
Aspirant

Re: setting static default route?

Do you have a configuration like this
internet-->router1->DGND3700->clients
?
If yes, it's unclear why you are trying to set a static route on the DGND3700.
In this case the static route must be set on the router1 and not on the DGND3700.
If this is not your network, than describe it(writing also the subnet) so i can understand it better...

RIP is not working because i think you have to open port 520 with protocol UDP.
Message 4 of 8
Dick_W
Aspirant

Re: setting static default route?

Internet --> router -->clients

|-> clients
|-> (LAN side of) DGND3700 -> (WAN side disconnected)



For the DGND3700 to find the 'net, it has to use the other router. WAN side of DGND3700 is dead. But it can see the LAN which, through the other gateway/router, can see the 'net. Want the DGND3700 to know the route to the 'net. Reason FWIW: some of my devices are still set to us the DGND3700 as their router, also without NTP, DGND3700 behavior as a file server seems to have some new problems. Apparently the DGND3700 default route is hard-coded to the WAN-side interface. This is what I'm trying to workaround.
Message 5 of 8
fordem
Mentor

Re: setting static default route?

Dick_W wrote:
I know the purpose of a static route.

I tried to enter the route as a reoue to 0.0.0.0 in the static routes screen, but it was rejected.

I have the modem running as an access point but in this mode for some reason it doesn't seen willing to route nor know about the gateway that is also on the local network even though that device claims to be running RIP v2. I was trying to force the static default route to get around this.


Think this through carefully - if the modem/router is acting as an access point, how is it going to route?

Routers, by definition, link networks - you only have a single network connected.

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day
Teach a man to fish, feed him for life.
Message 6 of 8
albgen
Aspirant

Re: setting static default route?

Dick_W wrote:

Internet --> router -->clients

|-> clients
|-> (LAN side of) DGND3700 -> (WAN side disconnected)



For the DGND3700 to find the 'net, it has to use the other router. WAN side of DGND3700 is dead. But it can see the LAN which, through the other gateway/router, can see the 'net. Want the DGND3700 to know the route to the 'net. Reason FWIW: some of my devices are still set to us the DGND3700 as their router, also without NTP, DGND3700 behavior as a file server seems to have some new problems. Apparently the DGND3700 default route is hard-coded to the WAN-side interface. This is what I'm trying to workaround.


I think It will never work a configuration like yours.

You have to connect the WAN side of the DGND3700 as a client, like this:


Internet --> router -->clients

|-> clients
|-> (WAN side of) DGND3700 -> (other clients)


Important: Note that the 2 subnets MUST be different!!!
With this configuration all clients will surf normally in internet but the client that are connected directly to the router will not be able to see the clients connected to the DGND3700. To solve this issue, you need a static route on the router and not on the DGND3700!
Message 7 of 8
Dick_W
Aspirant

Re: setting static default route?

albgen wrote:
I think It will never work a configuration like yours.


The router finds the world fine. Devices that know the router is their default gateway (those that use DHCP and are now getting DHCP via the router vice the DGND3700) get to the world fine. IF the DGND3700 knew the route, it should at least be able to provide an ICMP redirect to clients trying to use the DGND3700 to route--telling them what to use instead--and could find the net itself for NTP.

Agreed, I could run the two routers in series. That was just more involved to setup for the temporary workaround till my next DGND3700 arrives.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 5249 views
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements