Highlighted
Follower

setup website block without Parental Controls

Is there away to set up website and keyword blocking without the use of parental controls? The parental control system is not what I want. I don't want to install an app and login to netgear if I want to go on the web on an excluded computer. I would have to do this to many devices. I rather just set up filters for a few devices and not have to touch all the other devices.

I want to be able to set up a set of parameters by MAC address (block youtube.com). I see that you can set up rules by IP but then I would have to apply a static IP address.

Thanks!
Message 1 of 9
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: setup website block without Parental Controls

I use log function to identify sites then add them to block keyword list.

Use address reservations to get around using static IP's
Message 2 of 9
Highlighted
Virtuoso

You can use keyword block in the router setting but t will not block https so for example Facebook will not get blocked.

I would use subscription base service like http://mobicip.com
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 3 of 9
Highlighted
Luminary

I always get a kick out of these parenting threads. They almost always center around someone who doesn't trust their child on the Internet, but can't imagine their child not having Internet access. Since no nanny-ware is 100 percent, I would imagine the number to be far lower, as their parent, it's time to have that serious conversation with your child. The best filter is the one you teach your child. That's a filter they will carry around with them no matter if they are 10 miles away at a friends house or using an open AP from their bedroom.
_____
WNDR3700v1 (v1.0.7.98NA) - Router uptime (d:h:m:s): 1155:02:31:46 - How To Check and Change Your Router's Firmware: http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=63234
Message 4 of 9
Highlighted
Apprentice

Devor wrote:
...it's time to have that serious conversation with your child. The best filter is the one you teach your child. That's a filter they will carry around with them no matter if they are 10 miles away at a friends house or using an open AP from their bedroom.

I've been saying pretty much the same thing. I get the feeling some parents don't want to deal with the issue head-on but rather choose some oblique and indirect way of dealing with it.

Question: Does mobicip have to be installed on each device? I've been trying to find that out from their website but there's no such information available. I don't see how else it'll work. I get the impression all these parents don't even have a user account on their children's device - far less for it being the sole administrator account. How then do you expect them to install mobicip and prevent it from being uninstalled??
Message 5 of 9
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Moat subscriptions base will have master password to uninstall so either they wipe PC or live with it

Also most files are hidden or hard to be removed
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 6 of 9
Highlighted
Luminary

I would imagine a install logger would do it and then it's bye bye Mobicip. Or, a recent backup disk image and then it's bye bye Mobicip. Rootkit remover and then it's bye bye Mobicip. Secretly buy or borrow a different computer and then it's bye bye Mobicip. Life compared to dealing with Mobicip, re-install the OS and then it's.... Well, you know the rest. Smiley Happy
_____
WNDR3700v1 (v1.0.7.98NA) - Router uptime (d:h:m:s): 1155:02:31:46 - How To Check and Change Your Router's Firmware: http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=63234
Message 7 of 9
Highlighted
Virtuoso

If someone go that far those PC is it need it on hand . Lol
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 8 of 9
Highlighted
Apprentice

As I see it, parents give their children iPhones, iPads, laptops, etc., but do they set themselves up as sole administrators on those device(s)? Do you think they can turn around now and get their children to allow them to set up an admin account so they can install Mobicip? Don't fool yourself into thinking so. They (the parents) just want an easy way out that doesn't involve confrontation otherwise they would be talking to their children already.

...and, I agree with Devor. Children, or their peers, are mostly more tech savvy than their parents. If you install Mobicip they will find a way to circumvent it, even if it means borrowing their friends computer. So what will you do now? Are you ready to have that talk?
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements