× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

slow speeds

2TMW
Follower

slow speeds

I am using a 5 or 6 year old EX6100 (not a v2) in my home as an access point. It is connected by ethernet to a router (Xfinity supplied). The wireless speed six feet from the router are 300+ MBS by Ookla Speedtest. 

The speed 3 feet from the access point (a different room on another floor) are 30 -100 MBS on the 5 gig band, measured with Ookla. 

What can I do to increase the sppeds at the access point?

Model: EX6100|AC750 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: slow speeds

The EX6100 is a single antenna 5ghz solution. Meaning its max link speed (not throughput) is going to be 433mbps. the general rule of thumb is max throughput under optimal conditions is roughly 55-65% of what the link speed is. 

So rough maximum would be 240-280mbps. Under optimal conditions. 

What link speed do you have? 

How are you testing speeds? 

You said its hardwired into the router and the extender is running in access point mode? 

Make sure its running in access point mode. In extender mode, you'll lose 50% of your throuhgput. 

have you tried factory resetting and reinstalling it using the installation assistant in access point mode? if you set it up using wps, it might be running in extender mode and that can cause that 50% throughput drop. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7