× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: something is extremely fishy!

joem7006
Follower

something is extremely fishy!

need some help please!!  i have a netgear N300 wireless router (WNR2000).  recently i have had some unexplained intrusions such as someone changed my router name to: suck_my_d!#k, you get the point.  i don't know how that happened.  today, i lost connectivity to the internet and was told i have an unknown network.  i rebooted the router and PC several times and finally was able to connect to the network...however, the network name is now different!  (i used to be netgear89, now it is netgear44).  during troubleshooting netgear genie informed me that i was on a network with another router and recommended the settings to access.  i can access the internet once again, but what is going on, who's network am i on, or is on mine?!  i also notice in the network map that their are 817 devices connected to my network!!!!   does anyone know what is happening?

TY

frustrated

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
netwrks
Master

If it was my router, I would take the router offline reflash to factory and reconfig. Make sure you use strong passphrase (for wifi SSID's) and  a strong  router login password. Use different SSID's, etc.. I have added a link for tips for creating passwords and passphrases here.  Don't give out your router password or passphrase. Always change the default passwords, never leave anything with default passwords enabled.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
netwrks
Master

If it was my router, I would take the router offline reflash to factory and reconfig. Make sure you use strong passphrase (for wifi SSID's) and  a strong  router login password. Use different SSID's, etc.. I have added a link for tips for creating passwords and passphrases here.  Don't give out your router password or passphrase. Always change the default passwords, never leave anything with default passwords enabled.

Message 2 of 4
DebbyKay
Aspirant

I have been searching for help for hours on the internet.  All I want to do is to change the password on my netgear N300 wireless router.  My 76 yr old mom gave out the password.  All websites listed in the user manual from Netgear is no longer valid and direct you to a foreign site that wants $99 to help.  I'd rather throw it away and buy another brand than pay $99 to change the password.  Any suggestions?

Message 3 of 4
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

That sounds more like a problem with the PC than the router, have you tried other PCs on that network? There are plenty of anti-hijack tools on the Internet e.g. https://support.norton.com/sp/en/uk/home/current/solutions/kb20100811171926EN_EndUserProfile_en_us If you are still convinced that it is the router that has been compromised then try factory resetting it, but note that a factory reset sets everything back to default settings and you will have to set up the router again. I also suggest that when you are back to a happy state, you save the router settings to a backup file if you have not already done so.
Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7