× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: spectrum modem stopped giving ip address to netgear wifi router

nagerjaeger
Tutor

spectrum modem stopped giving ip address to netgear wifi router

this morning my spectrum modem stopped issuing an ip address to my netgear wifi router. netgear router worked great yesterday as it has since purchase.   I was able to attach my laptop directly to the modem and get an ip address.  That is how i'm typing this message.  Went to store and purchased a netgear ac1000 and have same problem.   spectrum says it is netgears problem since my laptop will connect.

Model: WNDR3400v3|N600 Wireless Dual Band Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
nagerjaeger
Tutor

Thank you for the reply.  I was able to get through to netgear support and this is resolved.

Support had me go to setup and "spoof" the mac address of the netgear router to be the same as my laptop.  Then power off both the modem and the netgear router.  Power on the modem.  Let it boot up completely, about 2 minutes.  Then power on the netgear router.   After the minute or more boot up the modem then issued an ip address to the netgear router.

I'll see if I can find the solution the support guy wrote up and share it here.

View solution in original post

Model: R6080|AC1000 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 4

All Replies
plemans
Guru

If you can pull a connection from the modem when directly connected, it "should" be good.

What spectrum modem is it? (model number)

What model netgear ac1000 (thats a speed) did you purchase? Firmware on it?

Here's what I'd try.  With both devices powered on, reset them both back to factory using the hardwired switch on back.

then follow this:

1. Hook up the modem and power it on. Give it several minutes to full boot and connect without a device connected to it. Again, several minutes and make sure its fully booted.

2. Then connect the router. Make sure you're connecting from the modem to the wan power on the router. 

3. boot up the router. Give it a couple minutes to fully boot. 

4. Follow the router installation page with a single device hardwired into the router. 

Some modems get a little finicky and need to be reset, fully booted, and only a single device hooked up that first time. Let me know if this does/doesn't work and what/where it failed with details. 🙂 Good luck!

Message 2 of 4
nagerjaeger
Tutor

Thank you for the reply.  I was able to get through to netgear support and this is resolved.

Support had me go to setup and "spoof" the mac address of the netgear router to be the same as my laptop.  Then power off both the modem and the netgear router.  Power on the modem.  Let it boot up completely, about 2 minutes.  Then power on the netgear router.   After the minute or more boot up the modem then issued an ip address to the netgear router.

I'll see if I can find the solution the support guy wrote up and share it here.

Message 3 of 4
nagerjaeger
Tutor

Here is what support documented as the solution.  

2019-08-27 09:00:23
- Internet Light is Amber - Cx have Laptop connected to the Router and already got GUI Opened - So did MAC Spoofing and then Power Cycle - Now Internet Light is Green and Cx have Internet now - EOC
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7