× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

tell me does this sound correct c7000 modem router

corvairbob
Tutor

tell me does this sound correct c7000 modem router

ok i got this modem last week and it took some time to get it connected to comcast. after about 2 hours they did it. turned out i was told it was new in the box but it must have been a return and was on someones account. they found that out when i told them i got it from ebay as a new in the box unit. so they checked and it had been connected before not new. 

anyway it just did not want to hook up to comcast good as i got slow speeds like 30mbps, i asked about that here last week.but then yesterday i checked the speed and wow it was like 120mbps. and then i check the admin settings and it had no event logs they were gone and it had 0 confirmed and uncomfirmed issues and it had 3 upstream connections.

but because it is a 24 x 8 it has all 24 downstream channels hooked up but only 3 upstream connected now, it was only 1 for the first week. so can i expect it to stay at 3 upstream or might it connect to more as time goes by and it is online longer?

i guess it not a send it back issue i'm just wondering if it may get all the upstream channels connected someday? the old one was a 8 x 4 and it had 8 down connected and i think 4 upstream connected.  

just wondering if i can expect anymore? thanks  

Model: C7000-1AZNAS|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: tell me does this sound correct c7000 modem router

@corvairbob wrote:

thanks

so tell me if i do not actually have devices that need the extra channels they may not even turn on then? the download channels may just turn on by default, but maybe i do not have devices that are asking for those extra channels? just wondering.

the channels locking are a combination of whatever your ISP has setup for your partioning/the cmts/and the signal strength. upload speeds aren't nearly the same as download so 3 channels is sufficient to saturate your upload speeds in most cases. Even my gigabit only has a 35mbps upload which a single channel could saturate. 

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7

All Replies
plemans
Guru

it might be the signal.

Take a screen snip of the modem connection page. make sure to get everything. upload/download/snr/correctables/etc.  this shows us that connection back to comcast. Its kind of key. 

what speeds do you pay for?

What speeds do you get over a hardwired connection? (not wireless)

If you have any amplifiers, splitters,attenuators in the coax line, remove them. 

I'd also check the line for kinked cable, damaged cable, loose connection, corroded connections, extended runs, or cheap/poor cable and connections. Ideally, directly connect the modem to right where it enters the home. this prevents the cable in your home from being the issue. 

Message 2 of 7
corvairbob
Tutor

@plemans wrote:

it might be the signal.

Take a screen snip of the modem connection page. make sure to get everything. upload/download/snr/correctables/etc.  this shows us that connection back to comcast. Its kind of key. 

what speeds do you pay for?   i pay for 100mbps

What speeds do you get over a hardwired connection? (not wireless) 100 up to 120mbps

If you have any amplifiers, splitters,attenuators in the coax line, remove them. i have one splitter that comcast put in years ago when they installed it

I'd also check the line for kinked cable, damaged cable, loose connection, corroded connections, extended runs, or cheap/poor cable and connections. Ideally, directly connect the modem to right where it enters the home. this prevents the cable in your home from being the issue. i have one cable from the pole tap to the ground lug and then to the splitter and then to the modema nd cable box. all comcast wire.

here is the snip.  but just so you know i'm not complaining just asking if i may expect the rest of the upstream will show theya re connecting? thanks

Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

Probably not. I'm on gigabit and only have 4 locked channels. If I recall correctly, when i had the C7000 I was on 200/20 and only had 3 locked.

You're connection strength on your upload is border line. Minimum recommended is 35-37dbmv. You're right at that threshold. Over it for now but its just a snip in time. If you do have issues with upload dropping, I'd log back in and check it. 

Message 4 of 7
corvairbob
Tutor

thanks. because i do not have anymore event log entries, i leaning on the modem doing what is should. and the upstream you say is on the edge, it may do better and then maybe not. but like i said i do get the downstream i normally see. and the upsteam is what they give me now so i do not expect to see that go any nigher. and like i was asking was becasue i have a modem that has the 24 x 8 channels if i may see more u/s channels at all.  so it is sounding like the d/s are mroe forgiving than the u/s channels are. thanks

Message 5 of 7
corvairbob
Tutor

thanks

so tell me if i do not actually have devices that need the extra channels they may not even turn on then? the download channels may just turn on by default, but maybe i do not have devices that are asking for those extra channels? just wondering.

Message 6 of 7
plemans
Guru

@corvairbob wrote:

thanks

the channels locking are a combination of whatever your ISP has setup for your partioning/the cmts/and the signal strength. upload speeds aren't nearly the same as download so 3 channels is sufficient to saturate your upload speeds in most cases. Even my gigabit only has a 35mbps upload which a single channel could saturate. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7