Re: v1.0.0.17 Released, but for USA Only???

Scubbie
Apprentice

Whilst some ISPs do like a noise margin set to 3dB, could you perhaps increase it to 5dB?

I appreciate that this will reduce your connection speed, but I wonder if it will improve the stability of your connection?
Message 26 of 56
Steve_Goodey
Aspirant

Since loading this firmware the router is now usable.

Had a few disconnects which require going into the ADSL settings page and hitting apply. I'm ADSL1.

Monitoring the receive noise margin it holds up while the value goes down. Have not seen at what value it dies, before the firmware upgrade it was about 6db, but it seems to be ok at about 4db.
Message 27 of 56
Aspirant

Scubbie wrote:
Whilst some ISPs do like a noise margin set to 3dB, could you perhaps increase it to 5dB?

I appreciate that this will reduce your connection speed, but I wonder if it will improve the stability of your connection?

Reason for my earlier posting was that it seemed that I might have got the red light disconnection that other have experienced in that it would not re-connect although it would re-sync when the phone line was removed then replaced. When using v1.0.0.12 and other routers a loss connection would be atomatically reconnected - with a 3 dB SNR disconnects are not that infrequent as you might guess. Due to the trial I was on the DLM doesn't cut in and insist on a new training period so its no problem.
Message 28 of 56
Scubbie
Apprentice

32110 wrote:
...with a 3 dB SNR disconnects are not that infrequent as you might guess. Due to the trial I was on the DLM doesn't cut in and insist on a new training period so its no problem.

Actually based on my limited knowledge, I would suggest that such a low noise margin may contribute to a poor connection, no matter which router you use.

Could I suggest that you start a new thread so that we can discuss your connection? If you could post your current connection stats, it would help.
Message 29 of 56
ccampy
Aspirant

Scubbie wrote:
Actually based on my limited knowledge, I would suggest that such a low noise margin may contribute to a poor connection, no matter which router you use. Could I suggest that you start a new thread so that we can discuss your connection? If you could post your current connection stats, it would help.
it depends on the router a lot of broadcom based router will hold down to 0.1snr and still not drop the connection
Message 30 of 56
Aspirant

I'm not concerned about dropped connection due to low SNR, I'm used to that. I was concerned that router locked up and had to be re-booted to enable re-connection. It seemed a bit like the problem reported throughout this thread:
http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=65870
Message 31 of 56
Scubbie
Apprentice

32110 wrote:
I'm not concerned about dropped connection due to low SNR, I'm used to that. I was concerned that router locked up and had to be re-booted to enable re-connection. It seemed a bit like the problem reported throughout this thread:
http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=65870

No problem.

With regards to reconnecting, for the record mine takes a couple of minutes. During this time the two red lights illuminate for a period of time (one at a time). The 2nd takes a little longer to clear as the router connects to the ISP servers.
Message 32 of 56
theTechman05
Aspirant

Do you have the ability to still complain to your isp on that connection time:mad:? I don't know my wireless speed but I know my modem connects in seconds. I couldn't handle that connection speed. My cable box is the only object right now I can't control and it the only thing I have that takes that long to connect:o.

Is that just an adsl2 thing or is that the average speed connection in the UK? I'd hope that's not an indication of lag time if you ever mention the need for gaming.
Message 33 of 56
Aspirant

Had the red light problem again this morning. Noted that my WAN address was 0.0.0.0 which was the problem others had reported. The router had been in this condition for about 2 hours. I have reverted back to v1.0.0.12 as that seems more stable for me.
Message 34 of 56
Scubbie
Apprentice

theTechman05 wrote:
Do you have the ability to still complain to your isp on that connection time:mad:? I don't know my wireless speed but I know my modem connects in seconds. I couldn't handle that connection speed. My cable box is the only object right now I can't control and it the only thing I have that takes that long to connect:o.

Is that just an adsl2 thing or is that the average speed connection in the UK? I'd hope that's not an indication of lag time if you ever mention the need for gaming.

Sky has two possible connections over the same line: PPPoA & MER. This may be what is confusing the router. I've left the DSL mode set to Auto too. Perhaps if I changed this things might be quicker.

The time quoted hasn't been placed against a stopwatch, but it does take a noticeable time to connect.

Their own router takes a lot longer.

32110 wrote:
Had the red light problem again this morning. Noted that my WAN address was 0.0.0.0 which was the problem others had reported. The router had been in this condition for about 2 hours. I have reverted back to v1.0.0.12 as that seems more stable for me.

I trust that you had set your ADSL mode to 'ADSL', rather than auto.

Please ensure that you have logged a comment with Netgear's customer support team.

The WAN address indicates that you wasn't connected to the Internet.
Message 35 of 56
Ryster
Aspirant

So far I am very unimpressed. I've never had a problem with WAN disconnections, my issues with the router have been related to other problems.

However since "upgrading" to 1.0.0.17, I have had two WAN disconnection events where the light has gone red. The router's panel then just shows 0.0.0.0 and the only way to get the connection back is to turn it off and on again. Sure the occasional WAN drop is normal, but EVERY SINGLE other router on the market automatically reconnects. Why doesn't this one? Grrr :mad:

Does anybody know where to get 1.0.0.12 from now they have removed it from the download page? I'd much prefer to live with my other problems until I can buy another non-Netgear router, than to suffer with an unstable WAN connection.
Message 36 of 56
Aspirant

Ryster - v1.0.0.12 available here on Netgear asupport site:
http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=65870 . What country are you located in and what version of ADSL are you using. We seem to be getting similar red light problems since upgrading(?) to v1.0.0.17.

I have reported to my.netgear and have received a reply which in brief asks me to reload latest SW, do a factory reset then re-set the ISP settings. Will try this in couple of days when I have bit more time.
Message 37 of 56
Aspirant

Sorry wrong link above - should be:
http://support.netgear.com/app/products/model/a_id/18165
:confused:
Message 38 of 56
laozhu
Aspirant

The WW version now available - does anyone in the UK suffering the redlight problem have a positive experience?
Message 39 of 56
Websurfer
Novice

laozhu wrote:
The WW version now available - does anyone in the UK suffering the redlight problem have a positive experience?

I'm in Italy... with this new fimware the red-light problem is TOTALLY SOLVED! 😄
Message 40 of 56
BitStream
Aspirant

laozhu wrote:

I've been connected constantly for 4 days 17:44:49 so far on this firmware .
Message 41 of 56
laozhu
Aspirant

Thanks Bitstream and websurfer - i have also set up v.17and the red light is off. One oddity is the netgear admin interface isn't showing the right hand panels where these come from the web and the gui version number is the old one. Not sure if they are still working on these bits but very glad the right light has gone.
Message 42 of 56
Scubbie
Apprentice

Actually there has been no apparent change to the User Interface.

If you are accessing your router via a short cut, that would explain things, but otherwise I am a little worried.

Try accessing your router via the good old fashioned method of type it's IP address in your browser to see if this works. Otherwise I would suggest that you should reinstall the firmware.
Message 43 of 56
laozhu
Aspirant

Not quite sure what you mean by a short cut - i always go via http://192.168.0.1/ JUst to clarify the right hand panel on say the ADSL settings page is the usual HTTP 404 message implying the firmware has false knowledge about website page links.

The webpage cannot be found
Most likely causes: •There might be a typing error in the address. •If you clicked on a link, it may be out of date.
What you can try: Retype the address. Go back to the previous page. Go to *and look for the information you want. * More information

Frankly I am not too bothered about it and still mighty relieved the macine is now fit for purpose. My next problem is to pursuade it to get along with Atheros as well as it does Broadcom.
Message 44 of 56
Aspirant

As I said in my earlier post on this thread when I updated to v1.0.0.17 I experienced the red light problem where the router would not auto re-establish a connection to my ISP even though it was synced. my.netgear.com suggested that I re-flash it with v1.0.0.17, do factory reset and then reset all ISP connection details. I did this yesterday but the router locked up within 12 hours with red light and IP address of 0.0.0.0. Only way to recover was to do full re-boot. Have now reverted back to v1.0.0.12. Will inform my.netgear.
Message 45 of 56
Scubbie
Apprentice

laozhu wrote:
Not quite sure what you mean by a short cut - i always go via http://192.168.0.1/ JUst to clarify the right hand panel on say the ADSL settings page is the usual HTTP 404 message implying the firmware has false knowledge about website page links.

That is the normal way to access your router and the same as what I do under most circumstances. My IP address range is slightly different, but not an issue.

I still get the help & explanations in the blue right-hand panel. This leads me to believe that perhaps you should reinstall v1.0.0.17 as it appears to be corrupted on your router.

As for short cuts, you could save a particular page address for your router or use Netgear's shortcut for all their routers:

http://www.routerlogin.net

Try these links and see what you get (they are safe):

http://www.routerlogin.net/RST_status.htm

http://www.routerlogin.net/RST_statistics.htm

http://www.routerlogin.net/traffic_meter.htm

laozhu wrote:
The webpage cannot be found
Most likely causes: •There might be a typing error in the address. •If you clicked on a link, it may be out of date.
What you can try: Retype the address. Go back to the previous page. Go to *and look for the information you want. * More information

Frankly I am not too bothered about it and still mighty relieved the macine is now fit for purpose. My next problem is to pursuade it to get along with Atheros as well as it does Broadcom.

A couple of times last month with v1.0.0.15 I couldn't get in to my router's GUI. I had to turn it off and back on a few seconds later to reset it. Strangely this happened again yesterday. :mad:

What you seem to be describing is something quite different though. This leads me to believe that you should reinstall the latest version again.
Message 46 of 56
laozhu
Aspirant

Thanks - shall try when i have a moment and hopeully we are due v 2 of the firmware soon!!
Message 47 of 56
BitStream
Aspirant

I just checked my connection stats and noticed that 21 hours ago it had disconnected and reconnected at the same speed. This is the first time it has retrained by itself.
Message 48 of 56
keith_thfc
Tutor

I still have issues so this firmware hasn't solved it for me.

For the past couple of days my ADSL1 internet connection has been trying to sync at too high a speed which has caused constant disconnections every few mins.

With my ISP's router it restarts automatically once the connection is lost.

With the DGND3700 it just does nothing - meaning that the box has to be manually restarted from the on/off switch or router setting page each time.

Now got my ISP to increase my noise margin but this blip at least showed me that there are still issues with this router/firmware for me at least.
Message 49 of 56
laozhu
Aspirant

Tried a reinstall of the .17 software but still no right hand panels coming from the internet. As you say this is not a good sign even though it is not a real issue from my perspective.
What is VERY annoying is that the Samsung R540 with an Atheros adapter is really struggling to maintain contact. May try and report issue to the support team. The router log shows lots of UPnP log event Public UPnP C3 entries which i don't think are relevant. The computer log shows lots of Dhcp client error event 1001 - translated as IPaddressnotassigned and suggests the fault 0x79 is about the DHCP server not offering an address. Running IPconfig /all shows a lease now obtained and a preferred IPv4 adress. I wonder if disabling IPv6 on the Atheros might help?

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Patrick>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Patrick-PC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection 3:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter #
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 8E-55-F9-AB-00-7C
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : EC-55-F9-AB-00-7C
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::ecfa:cc4b:cc4a:6216%27(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.5(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 26 November 2011 12:07:58
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 27 November 2011 12:07:58
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 468473337
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-15-42-94-AA-00-24-54-72-70-6B

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Marvell Yukon 88E8040 Family PCI-E Fast E
thernet Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : E8-11-32-59-FF-C3

Tunnel adapter isatap.{4E19FAD3-7163-4516-A26E-7F9916A4E697}:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter isatap.{01293BAB-14A7-4C5B-A6D5-6B4AAD537383}:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2

Tunnel adapter isatap.{F555401E-84EC-4784-9AEE-D8FED3652652}:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #3

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:5ef5:79fb:2406:166b:a3f7:9ed6(Pref
erred)
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::2406:166b:a3f7:9ed6%17(Preferred)
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

C:\Users\Patrick>
Message 50 of 56
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E